Adding template to custom control in design-time RRS feed

• Question

• User559377399 posted

Hi,

i create a custom control which can hold some templates, such as Header, Body Footer, etc.

<cc1:myControl>
    <BodyTemplate>
    </BodyTemplate>
    </cc1:myCnntrol>

i tried to use smarttags to allow the user to edit each of the templates, which worked pretty well. what i could not get working was to add a template if it has not been in the control. eg. add a header-template to the control above. i tried using the RootDesigner.AddControlToDocument() function of my controldesigner. but this function gives me an error, telling me the control i'm going to add the template (i used a new HtmlGenericControl("HeaderTemplate") as new Control) to is not valid. (i can't give the exact error message, cause i use a german version of visual studio 2008)

i've been searching the web for nearly half a day now, but i did'nt find a working solution for my problem

Thanks so far.

Tom

Saturday, March 13, 2010 2:57 PM

Answers

• User559377399 posted

ok - eventually i managed to find a way.

the code you want to be added to the control has to be "created" when handling the smarttag method or property-changes.

im my case the designer has a Enum EditMode which defines, what's edited right now. i added the same enum-member to my smarttag and add the new template code in the get-handler. to add some code, just assign a template to the member of your control. i used a custom written DefaultHeaderTemplate. 

code looks like that:

// the controls designer
    public class myControlDesigner
    {
        public EditModes EditMode;
    }

// smart-tag actions for the designer
    myControlActionList
    {
        public EditModes EditMode
        {
            get { return ((myControlDesigner)Component).EditMode; }
            set 
            {             
                TypeDescriptor.GetProperties(Component)["HeaderTemplate"].SetValue(Component,new DefaultHeaderTemplate());
                ((myControlDesigner)Component).EditMode = value; 
            }
        }
    }

You can also add a template from some plain asp-code. change the code as follows:

TypeDescriptor.GetProperties(Component)["HeaderTemplate"].SetValue(Component, ControlParser.ParseTemplate((IDesignerHost)(Component.Site.GetService(typeof(IDesignerHost))), "[inner-template code here]"))

the string you pass to the Control-Parser should not contain the tags for the template itselfs. only write the content of the template. this did not work out when an empty string is passed. but a string with a single space is a good workaround.

i hope this helps.

Tom

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, March 19, 2010 12:09 AM

All replies

• User1270895379 posted

I believe I have the same problem -- I have not tried your attempted solution.

Tom H.

Thursday, March 18, 2010 1:47 PM
  • User559377399 posted

ok - eventually i managed to find a way.

the code you want to be added to the control has to be "created" when handling the smarttag method or property-changes.

im my case the designer has a Enum EditMode which defines, what's edited right now. i added the same enum-member to my smarttag and add the new template code in the get-handler. to add some code, just assign a template to the member of your control. i used a custom written DefaultHeaderTemplate. 

code looks like that:

// the controls designer
    public class myControlDesigner
    {
        public EditModes EditMode;
    }

// smart-tag actions for the designer
    myControlActionList
    {
        public EditModes EditMode
        {
            get { return ((myControlDesigner)Component).EditMode; }
            set 
            {             
                TypeDescriptor.GetProperties(Component)["HeaderTemplate"].SetValue(Component,new DefaultHeaderTemplate());
                ((myControlDesigner)Component).EditMode = value; 
            }
        }
    }

You can also add a template from some plain asp-code. change the code as follows:

TypeDescriptor.GetProperties(Component)["HeaderTemplate"].SetValue(Component, ControlParser.ParseTemplate((IDesignerHost)(Component.Site.GetService(typeof(IDesignerHost))), "[inner-template code here]"))

the string you pass to the Control-Parser should not contain the tags for the template itselfs. only write the content of the template. this did not work out when an empty string is passed. but a string with a single space is a good workaround.

i hope this helps.

Tom

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, March 19, 2010 12:09 AM