How to debug makefile-built container in Visual Studio?

Question

• I'm hoping someone can help me out here, since I haven't been able to find an answer anywhere in these forums or elsewhere.

Our application is built and packaged through Makefiles, and we'd like to be able to debug it through Visual Studio. While we can do so with the "Debug Installed App Package..." item in the DEBUG menu, we would much rather just hit F5 without packaging and deploying the whole thing every time we rebuild. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks!

Tuesday, April 9, 2013 7:51 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I'm not clear your point. If we want to debug an App, we should deploy it first.
    We can right click the project and click Deploy, in this way, we can deploy the app without debug.

If we want to debug a running App, we can choice Attach to Process in the Debug menu.

If we just want to debug a new app, we should set the break point first, and then press F5.
    Please take a look of this document
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh781607.aspx

Best regards,
    Jesse

Jesse Jiang
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 2:59 AM
  • Unfortunately, because the project is configured as a Makefile project type these debug options don't show up. When you have the project open in Visual Studio, it tries to execute the package's executable directly, despite the fact that it's a Store executable, and fails. What I need is for Visual Studio to know that the output from our build process is a Store package and execute it properly from the build location when debugging, without installing it in C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\

The project file is generated by a tool in our build process, so if we need to change how it generates the project file that shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks!

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 12:20 PM
  • Hi there,

So you mean you packged a windows store app through Makefiles?

Now you want to debug without deploying package? as you know that when we hit F5 to debug windows store app, it will firstly deploy the package.. so a little confused, and would you please share your scenario?

Regards,

Jenny

Friday, April 19, 2013 6:46 AM