none
Debugging a complicated problem. RRS feed

• Question

• I posted on the subject in another forum (VS Debug) but there is more to it. Even if this problem is resolved tomorrow I don't feel the app is running satisfactorily and want to do my best to debug it properly. In short I ran WinDbg.exe, opened a workspace and attched to my process which I started in debug in VS2008. I immedicately got this:

*** wait with pending attach
    The call to LoadLibrary(ext) failed, Win32 error 2
        "The system cannot find the file specified."
    Please check your debugger configuration and/or network access.
    The call to LoadLibrary(exts) failed, Win32 error 2
    The call to LoadLibrary(uext) failed, Win32 error 2
    The call to LoadLibrary(ntsdexts) failed, Win32 error 2
    The call to LoadLibrary(wow64exts) failed, Win32 error 2
    Symbol search path is: *** Invalid ***
    ****************************************************************************
    * Symbol loading may be unreliable without a symbol search path.           *
    * Use .symfix to have the debugger choose a symbol path.                   *
    * After setting your symbol path, use .reload to refresh symbol locations. *
    ****************************************************************************

Then there is a bunch of stuff I decided to omit but at the end:

(1044.448): Break instruction exception - code 80000003 (first chance)
    eax=fff36000 ebx=00000000 ecx=00000000 edx=76fed624 esi=00000000 edi=00000000
    eip=76f90004 esp=1755fc2c ebp=1755fc58 iopl=0         nv up ei pl zr na po nc
    cs=0023  ss=002b  ds=002b  es=002b  fs=0053  gs=002b             efl=00000246
    *** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found.  Defaulted to export symbols for C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll -
    ntdll!DbgBreakPoint:
    76f90004 cc               int     3

The app is not running in its regular mode. It does not have the input binary stream. It is not connected to the Internet. I simply opened it.

Also I won't mind to get some instructions as to how to handle the GUI. Help does not work at all. It does not give any help files to read.

I guess my questions are:

1. Where can I get a detailed description of how it works?
    2. How can I resolve the symbols file issue?
    3. How can I make sure the app won't give any errors when opened in WinDbg.exe?
    4. How to access the command line? There are tabs but nothing came out after clicking them.

I really need to look into the inner workings of this app. What I can get thru VS2008 is not enough. I want to use SOS extensions as well. I want to see the Command window.

Thanks.
    AlexB
    Saturday, July 4, 2009 7:34 PM

Answers

• 1. it ships with a debugger.chm its probably what you are looking for.
    2. see 1 but if you just want to quickly get rid of the errors setup your symbols correctly, see this page for quick fix.
    3. running your application in windbg should not make it behave differently then running it from vs.net all the whining about symbols makes it unhappy but it shouldn't interfere with the actual running of your application
    4. alt-1 open up the command window, not quite sure what you mean.

If all you want to do is run sos though you can do that happily straight from visual studio.  Enable unmaged debugging in your project settings start debugging as usual and type .load sos in the immediate window when you hit a breakpoint and you can use any sos function like you would in windbg.
    Sunday, July 5, 2009 6:43 PM