How to find Win 7 documents under Win 8?

Question

• Almost all my files were under Documents when I was using Win 7. After install developer preview (why people call it Win 8?), I could not find them any more. 
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 5:07 AM

Answers

• If you installed WDP on the same partition your files might be in the Windows.old folder on your C: drive.

You can cut/copy and paste your personal files from the Windows.old folder to your Documents folder, or use this method:

How to restore your personal files after you perform a custom installation of Windows Vista or of Windows 7 (may also work for WDP):
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932912

You should not install Windows 8 Developer Preview on your main computer - it's not even a beta product yet and bugs are to be expected.

From the main download page:
    The Windows Developer Preview is a pre-beta version of Windows 8 for developers. These downloads include prerelease software that may change without notice. The software is provided as is, and you bear the risk of using it. It may not be stable, operate correctly or work the way the final version of the software will. It should not be used in a production environment.

Notes about installing the Windows Developer Preview
    • You can't uninstall the Windows Developer Preview. To reinstall your previous operating system, you must have restore or installation media.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 5:19 AM
  • One last thing, grammerlao. If that is the only copy of your documents you have, make a backup! You'll thank me later :-)

EDIT: http://skydrive.live.com will give you 25 GB of free space to store your documents.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 7:52 PM

All replies

• If you installed WDP on the same partition your files might be in the Windows.old folder on your C: drive.

You can cut/copy and paste your personal files from the Windows.old folder to your Documents folder, or use this method:

How to restore your personal files after you perform a custom installation of Windows Vista or of Windows 7 (may also work for WDP):
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932912

You should not install Windows 8 Developer Preview on your main computer - it's not even a beta product yet and bugs are to be expected.

From the main download page:
    The Windows Developer Preview is a pre-beta version of Windows 8 for developers. These downloads include prerelease software that may change without notice. The software is provided as is, and you bear the risk of using it. It may not be stable, operate correctly or work the way the final version of the software will. It should not be used in a production environment.

Notes about installing the Windows Developer Preview
    • You can't uninstall the Windows Developer Preview. To reinstall your previous operating system, you must have restore or installation media.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 5:19 AM
  • thank you Crazypennie,

I found my old file under C:\Window.old\Users\<my-old-username>.
    When first time trying to open it, an 'access permission' dialog box will appear,
    after press 'continue' button, there will be a long non-response period if there are a lot of

files/folders under Window.old. So patience is necessary.
    During this non-response period,
     ---- sometimes file explorer disappears;
     ---- sometimes file explorer sticks there, fold names in breadcrumb style path box become too

light, near white background;
     ---- sometimes a green progress bar repeatedly brush the path box. (That's great and normal)

BTW, I installed the ‘Developer Preview’ by accident. I tried to open ‘Direct2D-Direct3D Interop Text Sample’ using VS C++ 10 express and found out VS 11 Express bunddled in ‘Developer Preview’ is necessary.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 7:11 PM
  • One last thing, grammerlao. If that is the only copy of your documents you have, make a backup! You'll thank me later :-)

EDIT: http://skydrive.live.com will give you 25 GB of free space to store your documents.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 7:52 PM