Expression Blend for Metro XAML Apps

Question

• Im an experienced XAML developer and you simple cannot create rich, animated and polished XAML based apps without Expression Blend. Visual Studio designer simply cant do the things you need to do and hand-cranking XAML at this level is a joke reserved for inexperienced newbs.

So my question is - Do I dust off my old Javascript books and accept that I have to 'design' metro apps in HTML5/js, or is there going to be a version of Expression Blend that supports XAML-based Metro solutions ?

This is an important question that needs to be answered soon because I have a huge investment in XAML skills, and if I need to cut them loose in favour of relearning ancient technologies, then Id rather do it now than later in case I miss the boat on this exciting new platform.

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 9:50 AM

All replies

• Hi Chalkylicious,

We cannot comment on anything that has not yet been announced. In the meantime you can use Blend 4 to create styles and templates which can be copied into your Metro style app or look at Christian's comment on Soma's blog post

--Rob

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 5:20 PM
    Owner
  • Great - 'no comment' !!!

You cant open Metro solutions in Blend 4, you cant even reference the metro controls dll's in Blend 4 in order to get access to the basic control templates in order to re-style - so that idea is a bit of a joke.

This basically tells me that XAML support will be dropped from Blend (otherwise you'd say 'something')  with some of the really basic and less important features of blend 4 being stitched into Visual Studio - which is a waste of time.

Well, bye-bye XAML, welcome back jQuery

What a shame !!

Thursday, January 19, 2012 10:28 AM