none
Word document control in various documents (fields and databases?) RRS feed

• Question

• Dear reader,

I am looking for a 'smart' solution to a problem I encounter. I just joined a company and have taken control over a team that is responsible for amending and publishing around 30 (formal contract) documents that are to be reviewed and changed every 6 months. At the moment, the team sends out the current document to all the various countries, they print them, write down their feedback and send it back. My team makes the changes and sends the revised documents back to the countries. The countries come back with more feedback and so on and so on. With every renewal, around 85% - 90% of the document remains the same. Extremely labour intensive and very sensitive for typos or other mistakes! 

I am looking for a solution where we can make general changes to all documents (for example: Summer Season 2018 --> Winter Season 2018/2019, or an introduction text from the CEO, or a new headquarters address etc. etc. General text that needs to be changed in all the documents) and where we can make document specific changes to certain fields. For <g class="gr_ gr_457 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Punctuation only-del replaceWithoutSep" data-gr-id="457" id="457">example:</g> the fuel surcharge is USD 1.00 in the USA while the same fuel surcharge is USD 1.25 in Mexico and USD 1.30 in Canada (and so on for 30 countries). And the environment surcharge is USD 0.25 in <g class="gr_ gr_1194 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Grammar only-ins replaceWithoutSep" data-gr-id="1194" id="1194">USA</g>, USD 0.35 in Mexico and so on. In other words, certain fields need to amend on a local level (without changing the field names).

Is there a solution possible with MS products? I do understand there is probably not an 'off the shelf' solution and it will require some programming and a database of some form. But this is only the tip of the iceberg within my company on how much what we automate and streamline.

Thanks for your advice!

Regards,

Wednesday, July 25, 2018 4:37 PM

All replies

• Hello rednaSSuperstar,

It seems that you want to change text in specific range. I would suggest you mark the range you want to replace text as a bookmark. Once you want to change specific content, just go to the bookmark range and replace the text.

Best Regards,

Terry

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 26, 2018 6:39 AM
  • Hi Terry, thing is.. I need to manage and control around 30 documents.
    Monday, August 6, 2018 8:22 AM