none
Linq, Entity Frame work and the road ahead RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings,

Perhaps someone can shed some light into the future of data abstraction at Microsoft. I am trying to convince myself that Linq to SQL on Visual Studio 2008 is a good solution. Once you get pass the tons of auto-generated code and the general idiosyncracies of the language based query, it seems to be a good solution.

My background is Java and in the Java world Hybernate is a well accepted ORM tool. There is nHybernate which seems stable enough. There are also a number of other ORM tools out there which a simple and straight forward objective, to abstract the relational model from the OO application.

Now, Linq to SQL in 2008 seems solid, but I read comments that it is not well accepted and it is now in maintenance mode which means to me it isn't something that a new development project should consider. I also heard about Linq to Entity and the ADO.NET Entity Framework. Is it me or is there a lot of internal competition inside Microsoft?

Can some please shed some light into the what Microsoft technology should be use for ORM?

Thanks,

PP
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 5:36 PM

Answers

All replies