MRDS new Release RRS feed

• Question

• I think users would be interesting info MRDS on further directions of MRDS and release date of the new release.
    Representatives of developers talk a little bit about their plans.

iagsav

Sunday, February 3, 2013 9:22 PM

Answers

• Very glad to see the interest in MRDS! As a matter of policy however, we cannot really comment on the future plans. Keep having fun!

Friday, February 8, 2013 11:01 PM
  • I think you'll have a long wait. People have tried before to ask what the future holds for RDS and the answer is always been a roaring quite. I believe previously they have basically said that they are following company policy which I can understand and sympathize with.  (When you release product, you make a splash with it.  If everyone knows what's coming, then you don't get a splash.)  I don't expect that has changed so don't hold your breath.

That being said, I'd love to know what's next as well.

Ed

• Marked as answer by iagsav Saturday, February 9, 2013 11:33 AM
    Friday, February 8, 2013 8:48 PM

All replies

• Can anybody answer the question?

iagsav

Friday, February 8, 2013 9:54 AM
  • I think you'll have a long wait. People have tried before to ask what the future holds for RDS and the answer is always been a roaring quite. I believe previously they have basically said that they are following company policy which I can understand and sympathize with.  (When you release product, you make a splash with it.  If everyone knows what's coming, then you don't get a splash.)  I don't expect that has changed so don't hold your breath.

That being said, I'd love to know what's next as well.

Ed

• Marked as answer by iagsav Saturday, February 9, 2013 11:33 AM
    Friday, February 8, 2013 8:48 PM
  • Very glad to see the interest in MRDS! As a matter of policy however, we cannot really comment on the future plans. Keep having fun!

Friday, February 8, 2013 11:01 PM
  • A request to the MS Robotics Studio architects. Please add Skype support for tele-operation. Allow data to be passed along with the video so folks don't have to mess with router settings. Skype on a mobile robot would be transformative!
    Saturday, February 9, 2013 7:00 AM
  • I send to roboinfo@microsoft.com some info about MRDS projects of my students.

But I didn't get the answer. The way it should be?

iagsav

Saturday, February 9, 2013 11:36 AM
  • Thank you for the suggestion.  You or anyone could create a Skype client and server service that wraps the Skype protocol and uses it as a transport.

http://dev.skype.com/desktop-api-reference#Overview

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 1:46 AM
  • "You or anyone could" - thanks for the leap of faith ;-) 

Please continue making robot applications even easier to build in future versions of MRDS. Just like Arduino brought embedded programming to the masses and Visual Basic 6 made it easy for anyone to build Win apps.

I would also like to see MRDS integrated with mobile devices like tablets and cell phones (and even .NET micro framework). Ideally, building a robot Skpe application that can run on these devices should be as simple as dragging elements onto a screen, adding code and hitting the deploy button.

Things are strangely quiet here. I hope you'll stay around considering the news that Willow Garage might be shutting down. 

Friday, February 15, 2013 12:18 AM
  • I send to roboinfo@microsoft.com some info about MRDS projects of my students.

But I didn't get the answer. The way it should be?

iagsav

Same with me.
    Saturday, March 23, 2013 5:34 PM
  • Please create a (new MS style) "uservoice" feedback site for MRDS so we can post and vote ideas like the Skype one dttworld posted here and the following which I have:

1. Consider a better split of how the software is installed and used...
    2. I would expect all the core/fixed/MS strong-name (read-only) stuff, reference assemblies, command lines and editors to be in a central (non-user) program files folder.
    3. All the "user" stuff should not need to be labelled "user" (like it's substandard) moreover the MS stuff should be "basic", "base", "core" or just not there at all (just a set of source templates which are copied with new user specific strong names).
    4. Deployment package creation (archive location) should support variables and use the user's %TEMP% as default, or a relative path to the DSSME distributed project XML file. It also has a bug if you try to select a subdirectory of your MRDS folder it tries to use that same (source not target) path on remote nodes (deploys but can't find manifest file as looking in wrong path).
    5. Use subdirectories for projects or package everything in an OpenXML file (ZIP + XML). Then people can save/exchange single files with everything required and not have clashes between project files in the same working path.
    6. Prefix deployment node EXE files with the project name, use subdirectories or containers to ensure they do not clash, e.g. My nodes may be called by the machine name or friendly names like "Local" and "Remote" or "Operator" and "Robot", which leads immediately to name clashes. If this is not supposed to be an issue, they are considered as temp, then back to the previous point that all defaults should shove these files away in default locations like %TEMP% or a project build subdirectory.
    7. Considering the last few points, just make MRDS projects Visual Studio projects and migrate the editors (DSS and VPL) there, supporting source control and team work too.
    8. Make an icon to start "RunDeployer.cmd" and as administrator, because in my experience package deployment to remote Windows nodes doesn't work (even with correct firewall and URLACL entries) without that.
    9. Make the package deployer a robust Windows service.
    10. Make the package deployer service run without users logged on, but can still interact with the display. The robot Windows installation (think Eddie robot) needs to be locked in a public/exhibition environment.

Key Artefacts

Monday, April 29, 2013 8:30 PM
  • Great idea!

iagsav

Friday, May 17, 2013 4:12 PM