Connect Emulator to Virtual COM port? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am creating an two applications one in C# and one on windows mobile 6. The applications talk to each other via a COM port and I would like to test them on the same computer using the emulator. However since I need to map the emulator to a COM port which is opened when the emulator starts I can not open this same COM port with the application running on the computer.

I created virtual ports on my computer but I can not get the emulator to connect to these virtual ports. Is there any way that I can develop and test both applications talking to each other via COM ports?

Currently, I writing and running one application on computer A and writing and running the other application on computer B using a physical serial wire to connect them.

Does anyone have any ideas??

Thanks! 
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 7:49 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I am interested too in an answer. I've already asked similar question on http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/microsoftdeviceemu/thread/26399720-9b35-43de-a4a3-dedf957b84aafdfd .
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 7:43 AM
  • I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem...

The difference ten0s is that you would like to have two separate COM ports for the emulator whereas I would like to map "Serial Port 0" in the emulator to a virtual COM I have on my computer. Although I think the solutions will be similar.

I can't find any documentation stating that its not possible to connect an emulator to a virtual COM port. If I edit the XML, would the emulator accept a virtual COM?

Wednesday, June 17, 2009 3:47 PM
  • >> If I edit the XML, would the emulator accept a virtual COM?

I couldn't make it work on WM6.0. But I've managed it to work on WM5.0 emulator. The difference between WM6.0 and WM5.0 emulators is our case is that starting from WM6.0 it supports the cellular emulator that has to be connected to Serial Port 0. WM5.0 emulator has fake GSM module and it doesn't uses Serial Port 0 (I'm not sure, but it seems so). I used to use it to read GPS data from Bluetooth GPS device, but can't do it on WM6.0.
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 4:02 PM
  • In theory if the WM 6.0 emulator connects to the cellular emulator's virtual COM I would think the same principle would apply to other virtual ports?

What is the difference between the virtual COM the cellular emulator creates and one we would manually create?

Thanks for your insight.
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 4:21 PM
  • I think there isn't differences in virtual COM port implementations. Try to use Null-modem emulator com0com project and see activity.
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 8:31 AM
  • Tried using the com0com emulator last week. Unsuccessful.

Did you get this working ten0s?
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 11:55 AM
  • Hi .,
             Try out to use a CP2101 UART Bridge to convert USB to COM Port and listen through the emulator.ie.Interconnect the available COM Port to this Converted USB to COM .Open this COM from the emulator. M sure it ll work.

First of all you can't open COM port at the same time from different applications because COM port can send  data or recieve data one at a time.
    Nice idea is to move C# application in one Computer A and Emulator Appln to Computer B and try it out.
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 3:17 PM
  • Hi,

I am interested too in an answer. I've already asked similar question on http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/microsoftdeviceemu/thread/26399720-9b35-43de-a4a3-dedf957b84aafdfd .

It's helpful to me, The post is wonderful.
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 4:25 AM
  • Hi,

I am creating an two applications one in C# and one on windows mobile 6. The applications talk to each other via a COM port and I would like to test them on the same computer using the emulator. However since I need to map the emulator to a COM port which is opened when the emulator starts I can not open this same COM port with the application running on the computer.

I created virtual ports on my computer but I can not get the emulator to connect to these virtual ports. Is there any way that I can develop and test both applications talking to each other via COM ports?

Currently, I writing and running one application on computer A and writing and running the other application on computer B using a physical serial wire to connect them.

Does anyone have any ideas??

Thanks! 

RFC-1777
    Wednesday, March 9, 2011 10:18 PM