none
[UWP] Is is possible to publish UWP-App in non-native mode?

Question

• I am wondering if it is possible, or planned, to publish UWP-Apps in non-native mode.

The performance gains of my native compiled UWP rewrites over my managed WP8 apps do not justify the disadvantages.

While with VS 2015 Update 3 finally fixed the extremely long delay when switching between Debug and Release native compiles themselves are still extremely slow.
    I spent hours fixing errors that showed in release mode only (e.g. crashes because variables were not typed explicitly, very cumbersome to debug).
    The crash information in Dev Center is unusable even with symbols uploaded (e.g. no procedure names in stack traces, only address offsets).
    The crash information in HockeyApp is OK but still crippled as a result of native mode.

Saturday, July 9, 2016 10:04 AM

Answers

• Hi pmeinl,

Currently all C# and VB UWP applications that are published to the store require .NET Native. We are constantly trying to improve the .NET Native Compiler and we recognize the crash analytics gaps that are a result of the Native compilation. We are looking for the right solution to provide developers meaningful call stacks to help diagnose crashes that are encountered by customers.

It would be really helpful if you could share the stack traces you encounter in the store versus HockeyApp. If you don't mind, could you send a screenshot to me at dajaco at Microsoft dot com? The more feedback and real-life examples we get the fast we can improve the analytics we provide.

Thanks,

Daniel - Program Manager for Visual Studio

Friday, July 15, 2016 9:21 PM