Empower Finished and now out in the cold RRS feed

• General discussion

• We went into the Empower program as this was suggested by Microsoft for small development companies rather than using the Action Pack. The problem is Empower finishes after 2 years and then you are supposed to destroy any software that you have used from MSDN with no upgrade route to anything else at that point. So if you don't quite get your software finished and certified by that time (we are in beta) then hard luck. Don't expect to be able to do any further testing, keep any of your previous environments for regression testing etc as you can't use them any more. We want to get our product certified but that means getting the product fully tested first and now we can't use our development environments or test environments anymore without reinstalling them with new software). I would be happy just to take out an MSDN membership just to carry on, but according to Microsoft this isn't an option. So because we haven't hit our development deadlines (of course microsoft has never done that!) we basically have to down tools and give up. Unless the people that I have been in discussions at Microsoft are providing me with incorrrect information then I would suggest to any developer that may be embarking on a major development not to use this developer program if there is any possibility of not finishing in time or wanting to keep anything other than your source at the end of it. In these difficult financial times not hitting this target could be a real possibility even if not intended. Budgets can be cut, redundancies made and priorities change and partners can go out of business (we were effected by all of these).
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 7:04 PM