Multiple tiles in notification RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

In my app I am using notification polling (startPeriodicUpdate to a URL) and I'm coming to the conclusion that I can only set a tile this way: I supplied some <bindings> to in hope the app would cycle them, but it seems not. The wide and square versions show up ok, but when I supply more than these 2 variations nothing is shown.

Is this supposed to be this way? The docs (at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/br212859.aspx) don't mention this case. I don't want to show a lot of tiles, but at least more than one. I can fetch at the max frequency (1/2 hour), and supply a a different one each time, but it does not seem a good alternative.

Also, the tile fetcher seems to issue a HEAD request to the image. When the server does not support this kind of request case the tile silently fails. The server here is at fault, but not showing the tile at all seems too much :)

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 5:57 PM

All replies

• There are several tile samples: http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/windowsapps/site/search?query=tile&f%5B0%5D.Value=tile&f%5B0%5D.Type=SearchText&ac=8

Do one of these do what you want?  I am not clear from your description what you are asking.  Also the PushNotification service may be what you want. 

-Jeff

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 7:37 PM
  • I want to be able to supply several tiles to the app in one go. (ie, the last 5 major news)

From what I'm seeing I can only supply one tile: the next time the the source XML is fetched it overwrites the previous tile.

Push may be a solution but polling would be so easier. I'll look into it. Thanks.

Thursday, March 15, 2012 12:21 PM
  • Hi Pedro,

Let me go back and run through the samples.  They used to show rotating through 5 notifications if I remember correctly.  I will try to do that today for you.

-Jeff

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

Thursday, March 15, 2012 12:43 PM
  • Hi Pedro,

Each poll will only allow you to supply one 'notification'. The XML that startPeriodicUpdate points to must conform to the Tile XML schema - that schema allows you to supply a square and a wide <binding> template at the same time, but no more than that. (more details are here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh465426.aspx)

The ability to rotate through multiple notifications is called queuing. You can use the notification queue with polling, but it will start stacking up notifications over time. For example, every half-hour poll will add a new notification to the queue. The full details on notification queuing can be found here:http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh781199.aspx

I thing I understand what you're trying to accomplish - you'd like to do a single update that would update all the notifications in the queue. That is great feedback and I'll make sure it gets to the right folks. Thanks for letting us know how things are going - let us know if you have any more questions.

> Also, the tile fetcher seems to issue a HEAD request to the image. When the server does not support this kind of request case the tile silently fails. The server here is at fault, but not showing the tile at all seems too much :)

This is good feedback - I believe HTTP HEAD requests are pretty standard. I'd be curious to know what server backend you're using that doesn't support the HEAD request.

Thanks,
    Kevin

Friday, March 16, 2012 1:38 AM
  • Hi,

I thing I understand what you're trying to accomplish - you'd like to do a single update that would update all the notifications in the queue. That is great feedback and I'll make sure it gets to the right folks. Thanks for letting us know how things are going - let us know if you have any more questions.

This is how I ended up doing it, but the tile information I want to show (the daily headlines) last for a whole day: I could set the refresh to be this low and save the extra fetches. If the team manages to squeeze this in a future release it would be great! It does not

This is good feedback - I believe HTTP HEAD requests are pretty standard. I'd be curious to know what server backend you're using that doesn't support the HEAD request.

Nothing unusual, just a plain Varnish frontend, perhaps badly configured: I already reported this to the relevant team.

Thanks

Friday, March 16, 2012 6:37 PM