can't connect sql server with default "connection timeout" , why? RRS feed

• Question

•  

There are two machines(A and B) in intranet .  The network between the machines is well.

I can't  use client in machine A to connect the sql server in Machine B until i set the "connection timeout"  a bigger number such as 30 seconds. If i use the default "connection timeout" to connect , it will return a error message "

Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding"

But The correspondence  of executing sql command is very quick after the connection is established.

Why need i bigger "connection timeout"? Is that a configuration problem?

Thanks

Thursday, November 15, 2007 3:40 AM

All replies

• Sounds to me like it may be a name resolution error. Before establishing the connection to SQL Server, can you ping machine B from machine A? That will check for host name resolution. There are also netbios name resolution techniques but I'm a bit rusty on the best way to check that.

Try connecting using an ip address. Does the problem still exist? If not, it's definitely a name resolution issue.

You can also, start up profiler on machine B and monitor login attempts to see when the actual login attempt gets to the machine.

HTH...

Joe

Thursday, November 15, 2007 4:58 PM