none
Visio crashes when debugging Add-in in Visual Studio RRS feed

  • Question

  • I have created an Add-in for Visio 2010 Professional in Visual Studio 2010.  The Add-in loads and performs as expected when I open Visio normally.  However, if I attempt to debug the Add-in (F5 in VS), Visio loads up and then immediately crashes.  I am having the same results when attempting to debug a brand new unmodified Add-in template.  When targeting .NET framework v 4.0 Client Profile, I do not receive any error messages from Visio, however if I target .NET framework 3.5, I get an error message (in Visio) saying a problem caused the program to stop working correctly.  I need to debug my add-in to further develop it and am at a loss of how to do so.  Any suggestions?
    Thursday, December 12, 2013 11:01 PM

Answers

  • So I just answered my own question this morning, Windows EMET (Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit) was preventing me from properly debugging my Add-in in Visio (but strangely enough not for Excel).  For those of you who run into this issue, killing the EMET notifier process will not solve the issue, the EMET settings need to be changed.  Open EMET, press configure Apps, and deselect EAF (Export Address Table Access Filtering) for VISIO.EXE.  This fixed the issue for me.

    But in response, I was developing a VSTO based add-in with the latest service packs. I also did have other ass-ins installed and registered for Visio

    Monday, December 16, 2013 5:16 PM

All replies

  • Hello MacgyverMan,

    According to the Running Solutions in Different Versions of Microsoft Office  document you can set the target framework to .net 3,5 / 4 / 4.5. That is why I have a couple of questions for you:

    1. Do you develop a VSTO based or shared add-in?
    2. Did you install the latest service packs for Visual Studio 2010 and Office 2010?
    3. Do you have any other add-ins installed and registered for Visio? Please check out the COM add-in list in Visio.
    Saturday, December 14, 2013 2:15 PM
  • So I just answered my own question this morning, Windows EMET (Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit) was preventing me from properly debugging my Add-in in Visio (but strangely enough not for Excel).  For those of you who run into this issue, killing the EMET notifier process will not solve the issue, the EMET settings need to be changed.  Open EMET, press configure Apps, and deselect EAF (Export Address Table Access Filtering) for VISIO.EXE.  This fixed the issue for me.

    But in response, I was developing a VSTO based add-in with the latest service packs. I also did have other ass-ins installed and registered for Visio

    Monday, December 16, 2013 5:16 PM
  • Good news, MacgyverMan!

    Thank you for sharing the solution for others. Hope it will help somebody.

    Good luck with your add-in!;)

    Monday, December 16, 2013 6:02 PM