shutdown/startup/reboot sequence in Azure Stack RRS feed

• Question

• I read the sticky regarding not to reboot Azure Stack.  Is there a way around that or other fixes?  I'm on TP3.
    Thursday, August 10, 2017 9:09 PM

Answers

• I did reboot of Azure Stack host without any issues multiple times. Even had one power outage and sterted without issues as well.

Sticky notes that you should not install updates(which requires reboot) as it will replace binaries and system will become unstable.

I tried what will happen once, installed updates and rebooted. Result was BSoD.

So reboot is fine as long as you don't install updates.

Mustafa Toroman, Azure MVP

• Marked as answer by will_nj Friday, August 11, 2017 2:30 PM
    Friday, August 11, 2017 7:27 AM

All replies

• I did reboot of Azure Stack host without any issues multiple times. Even had one power outage and sterted without issues as well.

Sticky notes that you should not install updates(which requires reboot) as it will replace binaries and system will become unstable.

I tried what will happen once, installed updates and rebooted. Result was BSoD.

So reboot is fine as long as you don't install updates.

• Marked as answer by will_nj Friday, August 11, 2017 2:30 PM
    Friday, August 11, 2017 7:27 AM
  • Hi Mustafa/Will, reboots without doing any updates on TP3 can result in VXLAN or other problems. I do advice not to reboot the Host. I also experienced issues with ASDK without doing updates. It totally depends on the hardware platform and how many times you reboot the Host.

Normally you don't have to reboot the Host except for certain outages, if you want to know for sure because you expect reboots in the future? Then try it after initial deployment and see how that goes before doing any customization or deploying App Service etc.

Cheers,

Ruud
    Twitter:    Blog: AzureStack.Blog  LinkedIn:    
    Note: Please “Vote As Helpful” if you find my contribution useful or “Mark As Answer” if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

Friday, August 11, 2017 2:48 PM
  • I agree that reboots shouldn't be done without any reason.

In some cases that could result with issue. But doing updates will make Azure Stack fail to boot 100%.

Sticky states that doing updates and rebooting shouldn't be done, regular boot can be done but not something I would recommend to do on regular bases.

Friday, August 11, 2017 3:54 PM