SQL Server 7 and SQL Server 2014 Comparison RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

I want to know that I want to compare a database in SQL Server 7.0 with all schema and constraints with the same SQL Server 2014 database.

Is there any comparison strategy so that I can ensure the successful migration? Or to know that something is missing?

Thanks in advance. 

Janshair Khan

Wednesday, July 1, 2015 9:59 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

Not clear what you are trying to Archive. How do you plan to migrate, by backup / restore or do you you want to create a new database using scripts and transfer data then?

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Wednesday, July 1, 2015 10:11 AM
    Answerer
  • The Upgrade path you need will SQL Server 7 to 2005, then 2005 to 2013 and then to 2014.

for each stage you will need to review the data types, stored procedures, functions and Triggers in case there is any obsolete code.

If any of your databases have full text catalogs then be aware that 2012 and 2014 will create the catalogs as ndf files.

Please click "Mark As Answer" if my post helped. Tony C.

Wednesday, July 1, 2015 10:15 AM
  • You can use a tool named SQLCompare from red gate 

http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-development/sql-compare/

Best Regards,Uri Dimant SQL Server MVP, http://sqlblog.com/blogs/uri_dimant/

MS SQL optimization: MS SQL Development and Optimization
    MS SQL Consulting: Large scale of database and data cleansing
    Remote DBA Services: Improves MS SQL Database Performance
    SQL Server Integration Services: Business Intelligence

Wednesday, July 1, 2015 10:52 AM
  • I'd a database in SQL Server 7. I'm using the approach to upgrade the same database to 2005 and then to 2014. In this approach, I want to to know that whether the database is migrated successfully or not without any changes in the constraints and something else. 

Janshair Khan

Thursday, July 2, 2015 9:31 AM
  • Hi Janshair,

Before upgrading the database from SQL Server 7 to SQL Server 2005, you can run SQL Server 2005 upgrade advisor against the database and see if there are any warnings/errors that you need to fix.

Also run SQL Server 2014 upgrade advisor to analyze the database of SQL Server 2005 before upgrading it. Please note that you can get the Upgrade Advisor installation file (sqlua.msi) of SQL Server 2014 from SQL 2014 Feature Pack download.

Thanks,
    Lydia Zhang

Lydia Zhang
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, July 3, 2015 8:48 AM