targetFramework exception RRS feed

• Question

• User-1988524439 posted
    We have an asp.net website application that gives an error when we try to run it on an IIS6 server but does not give that same error on IIS7 or IIS8 server. The error message is listed below and the web application is assigned to asp.net 4.0 app pool. I'm not sure what the "provider options" are the message refers to. Thanks. Exception message: The value for the 'compilerVersion' attribute in the provider options must be 'v4.0' or later if you are compiling for version 4.0 or later of the .NET Framework. To compile this Web application for version 3.5 or earlier of the .NET Framework, remove the 'targetFramework' attribute from the <compilation> element of the Web.config file.
    Friday, August 23, 2013 3:07 PM

Answers

• User-166373564 posted

Hi dlchase

Any application fails with an HTTP Error 503. The service is unavailable.

For this error message, the request is sent to an application pool that is currently stopped or that is currently disabled. To resolve this issue, make sure that the destination application pool is started. The event log may give information about why the application pool is stopped or disabled.

Regards

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, August 26, 2013 3:04 AM

All replies

• User-18289217 posted

Somewhere in your web.config hierarchy (application level, site level etc) there is a <compiler>/<compiler> tag pointing to .NET 3.5 which is confusing the web server.

Use Ctrl+F and search the entire project for "3.5" ... then when it's found modify to 4.0 and it will work as expected.

Also you may want to check out the following posts:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3314469/asp-net-4-0-how-do-i-fix-the-compilerversion-iis-error

Saturday, August 24, 2013 6:25 AM
  • User-1988524439 posted
    The only thing that worked was adding the System.Codedom section with Compilers set to 4.0 This is strange because in another article about moving from 3.5 to 4.0 framework they had me remove this whole compilers section. Now I seem to have a problem running on an IIS 8 server (Windows Server 2012) that had Exchange 2010 installed. Any application fails with an HTTP Error 503. The service is unavailable.
    Saturday, August 24, 2013 8:54 AM
  • User-166373564 posted

Hi dlchase

Any application fails with an HTTP Error 503. The service is unavailable.

For this error message, the request is sent to an application pool that is currently stopped or that is currently disabled. To resolve this issue, make sure that the destination application pool is started. The event log may give information about why the application pool is stopped or disabled.

Regards

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, August 26, 2013 3:04 AM