404 not found!! RRS feed

• Question

• I've spent many hours on this "404 not found" error but failed to resolve it. My silverlight 4.0 app works fine in local network. However, external access frequently gives me "404 not found" error. I have to refresh the page serveral times. Then everything starts to work. Using fiddler to monitoring the process, I find out sometimes error happens on ".xap" file download, sometimes on "RIA" service and sometimes even on ".png" download (I put all images under ClientBin folder to minimize the .xap size). However, as long as I refresh the page serveral times, everything start to work. I understand this could be "cache" issue, or even related to my ISA 2006 proxy server. In addition, I'm using IIS7.5 with .net framework 4. Please help!! Thanks a lot.

Sunday, June 27, 2010 4:21 PM

Answers

• I changed to another iis server and the problem is fixed. Thanks.

Thursday, July 1, 2010 1:11 PM

All replies

• Thanks for the quick response. However, my problem is: everything is working fine within local netowork but not always from remote. The first time the silveright app is launched from remote, the downloading progress will show up and it works as expected. Close the browser, Wait for some time then open it again. The problem starts to happen. I have to click "refresh" serveral times to make it work again. Fiddler shows those failed attempts are caused by "404 not found" error. "Refresh" will make them download again. Several "Refresh" will make all ".xap" downloaded successful. By the way, I am using "LoadModule" in my Shell app to download serveral ".xap" OnDemand. Further help is appreciated.

Monday, June 28, 2010 8:50 AM
  • Hi,

You may try read the iis server log to get more info about the 404 not found

http://www.topbits.com/how-to-read-iis-server-logs.html

Best Regards

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 12:24 AM
  • I changed to another iis server and the problem is fixed. Thanks.

Thursday, July 1, 2010 1:11 PM