none
Workflows stuck in NotStarted state RRS feed

• Question

• I had our workflow manager instance up and running without issues.  Based on the logs, it seems WFM lost connectivity over a short period of time to the SQL Server.  Any workflows added after this event were in a NotStarted state.  I recycled all the services and WFM started processing any new workflow instances that came in, but the others are still in a NotStarted state for a few days now.  

How do I get WFM to pickup these NotStarted workflows and start processing them?

Monday, December 21, 2015 5:16 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You can use the powershell script to get all Stuck workflow instance and start them using script.

http://sharepointrelated.com/2011/11/21/get-all-workflows-in-all-sites-and-lists/

also check the below given blog to get more details.

Workflow Failed to Start

Workflow failed on starting

KRISHANA KUMAR

SharePoint Architect

Mosstechnet-kk.com

Please click "Mark As Answer" if this post solves your problem or "Vote As Helpful" if it was useful

• Proposed as answer by Ritesh Singh Rajput Tuesday, December 22, 2015 3:50 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by wildb24 Tuesday, December 22, 2015 3:54 PM
    Tuesday, December 22, 2015 2:04 AM
  • We implemented workflow manager without integration with Sharepoint. Will these suggestions still work?
    Tuesday, December 22, 2015 2:52 AM
  • Monday, December 28, 2015 9:28 PM
  • Hi Santosh, 

I had tried using resume without any success.  I have used resume successfully when workflows were in a suspended state.  Anything else I can try?

Thanks, 

Brian

Tuesday, December 29, 2015 12:16 AM
  • Hi,

What is the status of your Workflow Autocleanup, and Workflow Failover timer jobs for your web application, GO to Central Admin and to check the job status.

you run a stsadm -o getproperty -pn job-workflow -url http://siteURL

And check what value do you get <Property Exist="No" />? Or what

KRISHANA KUMAR

SharePoint Architect

Mosstechnet-kk.com

Please click "Mark As Answer" if this post solves your problem or "Vote As Helpful" if it was useful

Tuesday, December 29, 2015 6:46 PM
  • Do you have SB explorer installed? can you find message sessions in SB topic for the instances in "Not Started" state? I am trying to figure out if the instance is not executed or its just instance state was not updated because of DB unavailability.  
    Tuesday, December 29, 2015 9:43 PM
  • Hi Santosh,  

Yes, I can see the messages were processed by service bus.  The NotStarted status is coming from the workflowstatus column in the instances table.  

Monday, January 4, 2016 2:50 PM
  • Hi,

What is the status of your Workflow Autocleanup, and Workflow Failover timer jobs for your web application, GO to Central Admin and to check the job status.

you run a stsadm -o getproperty -pn job-workflow -url http://siteURL

And check what value do you get <Property Exist="No" />? Or what

It is possible to run this if Workflow Manager is not integrated with Sharepoint?
    Monday, January 4, 2016 2:51 PM