none
Passing a value from web page to word document RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a web page and i will search for a file in server.When the results came i will click on the link to open the file in the local machine.I will have to pass some details to the opening word document.How can i achieve this?

thanks in advance.

Friday, August 30, 2013 9:00 AM

Answers

• Thanks for your reply!

For example: If i have link in html and when i click on that link word document will be downloaded.Consider am having a plugin installed in the local machine that validates whether the file is downloaded by clicking on the link.

It can be any word format(.doc,.docx,etc).

I have taken two design approach

1.Pass the values to environment variables and the add - in will read from there.

2.Create a XML when the link is clicked with the required details and the add - in will read the XML to process.

Kindly provide best approach and let me know if there are other approach.

Saturday, August 31, 2013 5:48 AM

All replies

• Could you provide more information about what should happen with these "details" you want to pass to the document?

Which document file format do you plan to support, the old *.doc (binary file format) or the newer *.docx set of file formats (Open XML file format)?

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

Friday, August 30, 2013 4:47 PM
  • Thanks for your reply!

For example: If i have link in html and when i click on that link word document will be downloaded.Consider am having a plugin installed in the local machine that validates whether the file is downloaded by clicking on the link.

It can be any word format(.doc,.docx,etc).

I have taken two design approach

1.Pass the values to environment variables and the add - in will read from there.

2.Create a XML when the link is clicked with the required details and the add - in will read the XML to process.

Kindly provide best approach and let me know if there are other approach.

Saturday, August 31, 2013 5:48 AM
  • Either of these approaches would work, but since "environment variables" are meant to be something important to the system, and not a single add-in "snapshot", I think creating the XML file would be better.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

Monday, September 2, 2013 3:53 PM
  • Thanks for your reply!
    Tuesday, September 3, 2013 7:27 AM