none
Azure Storage Accounts File Service On Premise Mapping Fail

Question

• Have followed,

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/storage/storage-dotnet-how-to-use-files

Mount the file share

With support for SMB 3.0, File storage now supports encryption and persistent handles from SMB 3.0 clients. Support for encryption means that SMB 3.0 clients can mount a file share from anywhere, including from:...

System is Windows 10 Home edition and using Azure Free Trial

from..

net use m: \\tditransfer.file.core.windows.net\fileshare /u:tditransfer ikSh3zY/X/HGdcSBn1E95kegxDMJOHd4X+oJPsBiIEFo+3n4JQQEa05GX4/uWU0iIIK+Nt/Kd6AQNDo2wwcx+Q==

getting...

System error 53 has occurred.

with or without firewall enabled....

can successfully upload files using powershell.  Seems to be some kind of group policy issue, idiosyncrasy of SMB 3.0 or some frustrating bug of some kind.  Even added credentials for good measure but still unsuccessful.  

Sunday, December 4, 2016 12:00 AM

Answers

• Hi

I recommend you to contract VZW's support.

Regards,

Walter

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by 1tek4u Tuesday, December 6, 2016 6:39 PM
    Tuesday, December 6, 2016 6:31 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting here!

There are quite a few reasons why one may encounter System error 53 while mapping the Azure File Storage to a machine. These have been explained in detail here along with a solution for each cause. Please go through these and let us know if you need any further assistance.

Regards.

Md. Shihab

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you as this can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. And vote as helpful.

Sunday, December 4, 2016 5:02 AM
  • Hi

There are two possible reasons for getting this error if you are trying to mount your Azure file shares from outside of Azure Datacenter via SMB 3.0.

1. Your client OS needs support SMB 3.0, for example use Windows 8, Windows 10, Windows Server 2012.
    2. The port 445 (TCP Outbound) needs to be opened by your ISP or firewall. The SMB protocol is dependent on this port if you mount from outside of Azure Datacenter, and I do notice some ISP blocked this port.

Maybe you could check as the below methods:

1. Check your Windows Firewall, 445(TCP Outbound) needs to be open.

2.Check your ISP’s firewall, please ensure your Windows Firewall sets correctly. You could use PortQuery.exe.

PortQry.exe -n shui.file.core.windows.net -p TCP -e 445

I notice that many ISPs disallow access from port 445, more information please refer to the following article:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/32346.azure-summary-of-isps-that-allow-disallow-access-from-port-445.aspx

If the port is not open by IIS, please contact your IIS.

Regards,

Walter

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 5, 2016 2:39 AM
  • From 1tek4u via Twitter:

Tool tells me port 445 is filtered according to...

Yes I need further assistance your recommended too....C:\PortQryUI>PortQry.exe -n
    tditransfer.file.core.windows.net  -p TCP -e 445

Querying target system called:

tditransfer.file.core.windows.net

Attempting to resolve name to IP address...

Name resolved to 191.237.32.138

querying...

TCP port 445 (microsoft-ds service): FILTERED

But Verizon Wireless Technical Support team tells me they don't block any ports

Thanks,

@AzureSupport

Tuesday, December 6, 2016 4:02 AM
  • Hi

You should check your machine's Firewall firstly, 445(TCP Outbound) needs to be open.

According to my search, Verizon Wireless disallows access from Port 445.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/32346.azure-summary-of-isps-that-allow-disallow-access-from-port-445.aspx

Regards,

Walter

Tuesday, December 6, 2016 5:08 AM
  • From @1tek4u via Twitter:

Even though the VZW network technician told be Verizon does not block any ports" documentation on the internet points otherwise, so I assume the technician was incorrect in his statement".  Thanks for the tip."

Thanks,

@AzureSupport

Tuesday, December 6, 2016 6:06 AM
  • Hi

I recommend you to contract VZW's support.

Regards,

Walter

• Marked as answer by 1tek4u Tuesday, December 6, 2016 6:39 PM
    Tuesday, December 6, 2016 6:31 AM
  • I just verified that the on-premise to remote Azure Storage File Service works fine through an alternate Internet Provider gateway.  I opened a case with Verizon Wireless as their first tier staff is unaware of the details of TCP traffice being blocked by Verizon.  Thank you very much Walter!  Amazing how many hours and days I spent checking things under the sun with firewall settings, registry settings, group policies, credentials, etc, etc and it was VERIZON blocking me!!!!   :-(.
    Tuesday, December 6, 2016 6:43 PM