How to use Outlook with Email Router RRS feed

• Question

• CRM online 2011 and CRM for Outlook

We have not been using the Email Router, but now we need to becasue we have notifications that are not sent out unless Outlook is running.

How does the Email Router work? More specifically, how will this change the way we use Outlook?

Is there a Email Router for Dummies out there? ;)

Thank you!

--- ATS2011
    Saturday, January 14, 2012 5:33 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You choose if you want to use Outlook or the Email router to send and/or receive emails on a per-user basis. Typically, you would configure a Queue to send/receive 'un-attended' emails.

You must install the email router on a server that you own and then configure it to point to your CRM organisation and mail provider.

Download: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=21445 (CRM_2011emailrouter_scenarios.doc) and look at the Online Scenarios. 

hth,

Scott

www.develop1.net
    If this post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on the post and "Mark as Helpful"
    Saturday, January 14, 2012 6:25 PM
    Answerer
  • hi Anya

in addition to previous post

Microsoft Dynamics CRM E-mail Router is a software component that creates an interface between a Microsoft Dynamics CRM deployment and the organization's messaging system. The E-mail Router routes qualified email messages to the Microsoft Dynamics CRM system as email activities and fully integrates with different messaging systems, such as Microsoft Exchange Server, Microsoft Exchange Online, POP3, and SMTP. The E-mail Router includes the functionality for sending email through any desired SMTP provider and for receiving email from Microsoft Exchange Server or from a POP3 server. Additionally, the Forward Mailbox feature remains available.

For more information about how to implement Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 E-mail Router, see the following article:
    Microsoft Dynamics CRM: How to configure the On-premise and Online E-mail Router in different deployment scenarios
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=8ea05b4e-825a-4db1-ad59-d894aa5ef33e

Also find a good post explaining the basic of email in crm

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/crm/archive/2008/02/07/crm-4-0-e-mail-integration-overview.aspx

hth

dkay

if the response answered your question, please take a minute and mark the response as an answer.

Sunday, January 15, 2012 7:11 PM
  • Hi

Did this help?

Please make sure to mark as answer to the response that helped you get through. This will help others with similar problem identify the answer and also close this thread as resolved.

Thanks

Dkay

Monday, January 16, 2012 9:28 PM
  • Hi!! 

Ok, narrowing it down :) Thanks...

If we switch to the Router, how will this affect the way we use Outlook for managing email messages (we use Exchange online to send/receive)? Can the two be used concurrently?

Thank you! I guess this concept seems a little hard to grasp at this point.

I AM wondering if the queue thing will work for the specific problem we are having, namely sending auto responder when someone fill out our form.

--- ATS2011
    Monday, January 16, 2012 9:41 PM
  • Hi ATS2011,

You can use Outlook and the Email Router - but you have to choose on a per user basis which to use to receive and which to use to send.

Queues are great for auto responders - they are rather like Exchange Shared Folders and 'Send As' email addresses.

hth,

Scott

www.develop1.net
    If this post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on the post and "Mark as Helpful"
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 8:44 AM
    Answerer
  • I am hoping to get this fixed....

Got the new info@ourcompany.com email set up on Exchange Online to act as a queue. The Queue "Info" with email address info@ourcompany.com is set up and approved.

We are completyely migraed over to the new Office 365 system - this means our exchange urls have changed...

Outgoing seems to autodiscover just fine, but for the router incoming, it constantly errors out. Does anyone know the new url for connecting the CRM Email Router to Exchange once you've been migrated?

Also, How do I check this email account or get copies of messages sent to my own inbox?

Thanks again! Appreciate it...

--- ATS2011
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 1:32 AM
  • Found the answer at this URL for the NEW Incoming settings after you are merged to Office365. http://community.office365.com/en-us/f/160/p/12736/68891.aspx#68891

The correct procedure is to open the Outlook in Web interface Office365 , click on ? top right and select the About application.

Copy the hostname like: db3prd0602.outlook.com 

Copy the string to format the EWS service like: db3prd0402.outlook.com/ews/Exchange.asmx 

No trying redXX.. or.. autodiscover-s of which it does not work documentation not right. 

The greatest tweaks is open this EWS adress in IExplorer enter and save the name and password of the administrator Office365 account is likely to be assigned rights to "full access" and "send as" for all mailboxes. https://db3prd0402.outlook.com must be also in trusted site is it recommended. Select in CRM router IN, OUT - Other specified and fill the same name and password. Load data - Test Access = Succeeded :) In reality, but it works only on server 2008 R2, on server 2003 find only errors in ap log. Also queues not working. Proper manual about how to configure CRM Email Router to use Office 365 Exchange server is described on the MSCRM blog post below: www.crmsoftwareblog.com/.../configuring-the-microsoft-dynamics-crm-e-mail-router-to-connect-to-office-365-exchange  

--- ATS2011
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 2:16 AM
  • After following the above instructions, I was able to get a success in incoming and outgoing for the CRM Queue. I tested it and it worked.

Now, when I check the activities for the entity, in closed activities, there are emails that are not sent. It says "This message has not yet been submitted for delivery. For more information, see help."

I checked help, and it says:

If this option is not set correctly, e-mail is not sent and a warning message "This message has not been submitted for delivery" appears.

All options are set up correctly...

Next, on a whim, started the computer that I installed the Email Router on. Wala - all messages waiting to be sent are now sent.

-----> Does the computer with the email router have to be running for email messages to be sent? I assumed that with CRM Online, once installed and successfully sending, that the Router would work behind the scenes.

We did choose CRM Online so we would not need a server running like On Premise. ???????

--- ATS2011
    • Edited by ATS2011-Anya Friday, January 27, 2012 7:08 PM add more info
    Friday, January 27, 2012 6:06 PM