initialization of data source failed (I have been using this workbook with powerpivot for a couple of months) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I was just about to do my month end reporting.  I clicked on the excel file that I have linked powerpivot to an access database.  I got the error:

initialization of data source failed...

This concerns me because all of the pivot tables in the workbook are linked to the powerpivot.

Please don't tell me that I have to recreate everything.

Ivan

Thursday, February 5, 2015 4:56 PM

Answers

• Forgot to mention, the powerpivot windows icon is greyed out. 

I just stumbled across a workaround to help me access the reporting data for now.  I chose a random cell in excel, and clicked on the create linked table icon in the powerpivot ribbon.  Thankfully, all of the powerpivot stuff is still there.  I refreshed as needed, and the data in the pivot tables reflected the data refresh.

That said, the PowerPivot Window icon is still greyed out. 

Ivan

EDIT:  I just recreated the workbook.  Never did find out what the issue was.  
    Thursday, February 5, 2015 5:01 PM

All replies

• Forgot to mention, the powerpivot windows icon is greyed out. 

I just stumbled across a workaround to help me access the reporting data for now.  I chose a random cell in excel, and clicked on the create linked table icon in the powerpivot ribbon.  Thankfully, all of the powerpivot stuff is still there.  I refreshed as needed, and the data in the pivot tables reflected the data refresh.

That said, the PowerPivot Window icon is still greyed out. 

Ivan

EDIT:  I just recreated the workbook.  Never did find out what the issue was.  
    Thursday, February 5, 2015 5:01 PM
  • Anybody have an idea for Ivan to try?

Thanks!

Ed Price, Azure & Power BI Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Thursday, February 12, 2015 8:09 PM
  • Thanks for bumping the thread Ed.  
    Thursday, February 12, 2015 8:11 PM