ASP.NET Web form:capacity planing RRS feed

• Question

• We are going to develop an asp.net web form application for a cable tv company having 10 simple aspx pages for 8,0000 users base and around 2500-3500 concurrent users.

We'll consume hosted WCF service in web application in the same production box.

I know that capacity depends so many factors like response time, page size,RTT,cs,bandwidth,payload etc.

but I am looking for the minimum hardware configuration of the web server box.

Thanks,

Anees

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 7:36 AM

Answers

• I am presuming that web server and WCF hosting IIS server are same on the same web server.

As far as my experience is concerned, a dual core CPU with 4 GB RAM machine is sufficient to serve a medium type application with 200 concurrent users.

In your case, I assume that out of 80000 users, the simultaneous users who are on the application(might be just looking at the application and not clicking much) will be around 8000(10%) and the concurrent users will be around 20% of simultaneous users(1600).

So you can have 2 servers with 2 *quadracore CPU and 16 GB of RAM for your simple application taking care of web and app(WCF) tier.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Bhaskar

• Marked as answer by A R KHAN Monday, August 26, 2013 11:47 AM
    Friday, August 23, 2013 6:46 AM

All replies

• I am presuming that web server and WCF hosting IIS server are same on the same web server.

As far as my experience is concerned, a dual core CPU with 4 GB RAM machine is sufficient to serve a medium type application with 200 concurrent users.

In your case, I assume that out of 80000 users, the simultaneous users who are on the application(might be just looking at the application and not clicking much) will be around 8000(10%) and the concurrent users will be around 20% of simultaneous users(1600).

So you can have 2 servers with 2 *quadracore CPU and 16 GB of RAM for your simple application taking care of web and app(WCF) tier.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Bhaskar

• Marked as answer by A R KHAN Monday, August 26, 2013 11:47 AM
    Friday, August 23, 2013 6:46 AM
  • Without knowing more it's impossible to comment. How simple is simple? What infrastructure do you have? E.g. if the pages are common between the users then a good http caching mechanism will mean practically none of your servers are hit!

http://pauliom.wordpress.com

Friday, August 30, 2013 8:50 PM