Response time per request RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have 2 webtests which are included in a load test. The test runs fine.

I am interested in

1) Finding the response time for each of the requests.

2) Knowing how the requests are sent by each of the VS virtual users.

Please help.

Thanks and regards,

Arpita

Thursday, May 13, 2010 12:21 PM

Answers

• Hello,

There are not any complex algorithm here. Let's start from web test, web test is a series of http requests sent under System.Net layer. While running web test separately, the web test engine just utilize System.Net to send the requests.(As you can see if you covert web test to coded one.). 

When you add Web tests to a load test, you simulate multiple users running web test separately and simultaneously. (opening simultaneous connections to a server and making multiple HTTP requests.). That is, actually, there are not any users here, the load test engine just sends more requests according to the number of virtual users you set under System.Net layer.

The number of requests differs for several reasons, like the increase of virtual user if you set it with Step load, value of Percentage Of New Users, etc.

The request table only shows the independent requests, not including dependent requests like .css, .js, etc.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Send us any feedback you have about the help from MSFT at fbmsdn@microsoft.com.
    Monday, May 17, 2010 10:56 AM

All replies

• Hello,

About issue #1, you can view it in the load test result table window, select 'Table' view in the load test result toolbar, and select 'Requests' under the dropdownlilstbox, so you can view the response time for each request.

About issue #2, load test consistes of web tests just simulates virtual users sending requests via System.Net layer.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Monday, May 17, 2010 8:07 AM
  • Thanks Edwer, for the reply...

About #2, would you be able to throw more light n the algorithm/ criterion that VS uses to simulate the number of requests. From what I see, the number of requests are always random. Isn't there a set of rules it follows?

For #1, I'm using VS 2008 and it does not give me results per request. It shows requests per test case.

Thanks and regards,
    Arpita A. Dessai

Monday, May 17, 2010 9:44 AM
  • Hello,

There are not any complex algorithm here. Let's start from web test, web test is a series of http requests sent under System.Net layer. While running web test separately, the web test engine just utilize System.Net to send the requests.(As you can see if you covert web test to coded one.). 

When you add Web tests to a load test, you simulate multiple users running web test separately and simultaneously. (opening simultaneous connections to a server and making multiple HTTP requests.). That is, actually, there are not any users here, the load test engine just sends more requests according to the number of virtual users you set under System.Net layer.

The number of requests differs for several reasons, like the increase of virtual user if you set it with Step load, value of Percentage Of New Users, etc.

The request table only shows the independent requests, not including dependent requests like .css, .js, etc.

Monday, May 17, 2010 10:56 AM