locked
Oracle 8 Connection Problems RRS feed

  • Question

  • I am having trouble connecting to an Oracle 8 database. The problem is driving me absolutely NUTS. When connecting I am intermittently getting the error ORA-12637 Packet Recieve Failed.

     

    I have tried every provider I can think of and they all produce the same result. It connects about 20% of the time.

     

    The strange thing is if I go back to a VB6 data project the problem does not seem to exist.

     

    Here is the connection string in VB6 that has yet to fail

    Provider=OraOLEDB.Oracle.1;Password=xxx;Persist Security Info=True;User ID=xxx;Data Source=dwhp

     

     

    Here is the .NET connection that sometimes works

    Data Source=dwhp;User ID=e087870;Provider=MSDAORA.1;Persist Security Info=True;

     

    I have tried copying the VB6 string into .NET but it complains saying that the provider is not supported.

     

    PLEASE help this is driving me crazy. Thanks

     

    Monday, June 16, 2008 10:09 PM

Answers

  •  Skippee wrote:

    I found this 9i Visual Studio tools on the Oracle site: Oracle9i Release 2 ODAC 9.2.0.7.0

     

    and also the 9i client: Oracle9i Client Release 2 (9.2.0.8.0) for Stratus x86

     

    Not sure what they (Oracle) mean by Stratus??  Which one should I use the VS tools or the client?

     

    Thanks!! Hope this works.

     

     

    You need the client software for 9i not the VS data access tools because if you don't use it your development will be getting many problems.

     

     

    http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/products/oracle9i/htdocs/winsoft.html
    Wednesday, June 18, 2008 2:19 PM

All replies

  • Everything I try with VB6 works fine but fails with .NET? What could be wrong?

    Tuesday, June 17, 2008 2:04 PM
  •  Skippee wrote:

     

    Here is the connection string in VB6 that has yet to fail

    Provider=OraOLEDB.Oracle.1;Password=xxx;Persist Security Info=True;User ID=xxx;Data Source=dwhp
     

     

    Here is the .NET connection that sometimes works

    Data Source=dwhp;User ID=e087870;Provider=MSDAORA.1;Persist Security Info=True;

     



    It seems you are using different providers - Oracle provider for OLEDB ( VB6 ) and Microsoft OLEDB provider for Oracle (.NET)

    Did you try to create connection manager by hands ? ( "New OLE DB connection" in context menu, then select OLEDB provider in connection manager configuration dialog ) - try to select the same provider that works in VB6


    Tuesday, June 17, 2008 10:48 PM
  •  Skippee wrote:

    Everything I try with VB6 works fine but fails with .NET? What could be wrong?

     

    Oracle does not want you to connect to 8i with 8i client but 9i because technically Oracle only support 9i and above for .NET development so go back to Oracle site and download and install 9i client for your .NET development.

     

     

    Tuesday, June 17, 2008 11:36 PM
  • I found this 9i Visual Studio tools on the Oracle site: Oracle9i Release 2 ODAC 9.2.0.7.0

     

    and also the 9i client: Oracle9i Client Release 2 (9.2.0.8.0) for Stratus x86

     

    Not sure what they (Oracle) mean by Stratus??  Which one should I use the VS tools or the client?

     

    Thanks!! Hope this works.

     

    Wednesday, June 18, 2008 3:31 AM
  • oracle connection strings: http://www.connectionstrings.com/?carrier=oracle

     

    hth

    Wednesday, June 18, 2008 7:25 AM
  •  Skippee wrote:

    I found this 9i Visual Studio tools on the Oracle site: Oracle9i Release 2 ODAC 9.2.0.7.0

     

    and also the 9i client: Oracle9i Client Release 2 (9.2.0.8.0) for Stratus x86

     

    Not sure what they (Oracle) mean by Stratus??  Which one should I use the VS tools or the client?

     

    Thanks!! Hope this works.

     

     

    You need the client software for 9i not the VS data access tools because if you don't use it your development will be getting many problems.

     

     

    http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/products/oracle9i/htdocs/winsoft.html
    Wednesday, June 18, 2008 2:19 PM
  • That worked perfect. Thanks soooo much!

     

    Friday, June 20, 2008 1:13 PM
  •  Caddre wrote:
     Skippee wrote:

    I found this 9i Visual Studio tools on the Oracle site: Oracle9i Release 2 ODAC 9.2.0.7.0

     

    and also the 9i client: Oracle9i Client Release 2 (9.2.0.8.0) for Stratus x86

     

    Not sure what they (Oracle) mean by Stratus??  Which one should I use the VS tools or the client?

     

    Thanks!! Hope this works.

     

     

    You need the client software for 9i not the VS data access tools because if you don't use it your development will be getting many problems.

     

     

    http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/products/oracle9i/htdocs/winsoft.html

     

    i might be wrong, but i don't believe that installing the entire 9i client software package is necessary for a .net application to connect to oracle using oracle software.  as far as i know, all that's needed is the oracle .net provider: http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/windows/odpnet/index.html

    Friday, June 27, 2008 7:13 AM
  • Yes you are wrong installing the Oracle client makes Oracle operating system agnostic I have used Oracle in IBM Iseries, Linux and Solari and I don't even know where the main Oracle is located some times in different state.  Installing the Oracle client is Oracle's own advise from their very expensive support divisiion I had a meta link account. 

     

    Another thing with the client any native .NET provider will work without issues that is the reason 11g cleint is almost 2gig.  I almost forgot in 10g R2 and above the client also installs Oracle MTS services it let you the developer write system.transaction code to Oracle without MSDTC.

     

     

     

     

     

    Friday, June 27, 2008 8:54 AM