none
Why is VS2015 so slow when editing XAML files?

Question

• Whenever I edit XAML files in VS2015 Enterprise Update 3, VS is painfully slow.

If I have a XAML file open, and use Ctrl-Tab to switch to a non-XAML file, it takes VS about 25 seconds to switch the file.

If I modify a XAML file and then click Ctrl-S to save it, it can take a minute or two (no exaggeration) to save the file. I have an SSD, so IO speed is not the issue.

When I was on Windows 7, I used to kill XDescProc, which helped temporarily. I also found that deleting the contents of  C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp\ALM\ShadowCopies\<some_guid> would  help (when it would let me). However, now I'm on Windows 10, I don't see XDescProc, and deleting those files doesn't help.

Anyone any ideas? I'm really fed up with this painfully slow development.

Tuesday, February 21, 2017 6:20 PM

All replies

• Hi Yossu,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

When did you begin to meet the issue?

I test it on my side, everything works well. Please create a new project and use Ctrl-Tab to switch to a non-XAML file to check if the issue persists. If you still meet the issue, Please open an administrative CMD window and navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE and run these commands:

1. devenv /resetsettings
    2. devenv /resetuserdata

Opening XAML files in the Code View is better instead of opening them using the default editor, open them using the “Source Code (Text) Editor“: it’s as fast as opening a classic XML file. To set that up, right-click on a XAML file and select “Open With…”, then in the dialog set the “Source Code (Text) Editor” as the default editor by clicking on the “Set as Default” button.

Besides, please have a look at the UserVoice which has the similar issue with you: https://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio-ide/suggestions/2204137-improve-the-xaml-designer-performance, many people have reflected the issue to Microsoft, you could go to here to vote and comment it.

Best regards,

Joyce

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 22, 2017 5:41 AM
  • Hello,

This has been an ongoing issue for years. That user voice page you linked to is five and a half years old, this isn't something new, it's something people have been shouting about for a long time, over several versions of VS and Microsoft just don't seem interested in fixing it.

Resetting doesn't seem to help, or if it helps, it's only temporary. Switching to source code only view is not an option, as it's extremely difficult to design anything other than the simplest view without the designer.

You are just trying to avoid the main issue. The XAML designer is painfully slow, Microsoft knows it and is just continuing to ignore the issue. 

Yes, I'm very annoyed and frustrated, along with a vast number of other developers who have been putting up with this issue for years.

Wednesday, February 22, 2017 2:16 PM
  • Hello,

This has been an ongoing issue for years. That user voice page you linked to is five and a half years old, this isn't something new, it's something people have been shouting about for a long time, over several versions of VS and Microsoft just don't seem interested in fixing it.

Resetting doesn't seem to help, or if it helps, it's only temporary. Switching to source code only view is not an option, as it's extremely difficult to design anything other than the simplest view without the designer.

You are just trying to avoid the main issue. The XAML designer is painfully slow, Microsoft knows it and is just continuing to ignore the issue. 

Yes, I'm very annoyed and frustrated, along with a vast number of other developers who have been putting up with this issue for years.

I've never seen this issue, personally. Is perhaps your computer is under-powered? How much memory do you have? What kind of processor do you use?
    Wednesday, February 22, 2017 4:11 PM
  • I've never seen this issue, personally. Is perhaps your computer is under-powered? How much memory do you have? What kind of processor do you use?

Do a search, and you'll find masses of complaints about it. Look at the user voice page and note that the suggestion has 1683 votes! This is a well known and very old issue.

I have a pretty powerful machine, with 40Gb of RAM, only about 40% of which is typically in use. Also, it doesn't matter what machine I use, I see the same problem, as do others in our team, as do plenty of other people around the world.

Sorry, but this is not a new or isolated problem. This is something Microsoft have known about for years and have never fixed.

Wednesday, February 22, 2017 4:34 PM
  • Hi Yossu,

Thank you for your update.

I agree with you and I understand that this has brought many trouble for you. what we can do now is to go to the uservoice to reflect the issue to Microsoft and wait for the solution. Now visual studio 2017 RC could be downloaded and used and visual studio 2017 RTM will be released in March, you could have a try with visual studio 2017.

Best regards,

Joyce

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 23, 2017 4:53 AM
  • And what makes you think it will be any better in VS2017? This issue has been a problem since at least VS2010 (possibly earlier) and they haven't fixed it yet. 

My guess is that it's not an exciting new feature, so they don't want to put the time into it. In the meantime, it makes life miserable for a huge number of developers who have to sit and wait whilst VS thinks about it. 

Thursday, February 23, 2017 3:32 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for update.

Currently I am not able to help you solve the issue, but I will escalate the issue to senior engineer to do it. Thank you for understanding.

Best regards,

Joyce

Friday, February 24, 2017 10:08 AM
  • And what are they going to do about it? This issue has been around for years. Are you suggesting that in all those years, no-one has forwarded it to a senior engineer? If they have, why will doing it again result in anything different from the lack of action that previous times have?

Sorry if I sound cynical, but I am. I'm fed up with the awful speed of the XAML designer (and am not alone judging by the number of other people complaining about it), and equally fed up with Microsoft's refusal to do anything about it.

Sunday, February 26, 2017 3:06 PM
  • Do I take it from your lack of response that you agree with my frustration?

I just opened a XAML file to check a binding, didn't touch the code at all, and clicked the X button on the tab to close it, and it took TWO MINUTES to close the file!

I don't know how you expect people to work like this.

Thursday, March 2, 2017 10:57 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your update.

Our forum is to discuss Visual Studio WPF/SL Designer, Visual Studio Guidance Automation Toolkit, Developer Documentation and Help System, and Visual Studio Editor. your issue is more related to visual studio itself and has been submitted to Microsoft production team. I also submit a feedback to Microsoft, you could see it here: https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/3126104

Best regards,

Joyce

Friday, March 3, 2017 6:16 AM
  • Well, given that this issue is about the Visual Studio WPF/SL Designer, then it clearly is relevant to this forum, so your comment is odd to say the least. It has been submitted as feedback many times before (see the UserVoice link you provided in your first reply) and never answered.

As for trying it in VS2017, I would require me building up a new machine, as I'm not installing beta software on my main machine. I'll see if I can get time to try it and I'll let you know.

Sunday, March 5, 2017 3:14 PM
  • Hmm, so much for VS2017. I tried installing it on a spare machine and got all sorts of install errors. All attempts to fix it causes the installer to stop responding.

I give up. I'm really fed up with this, and am seriously considering moving to something else. You don't exactly encourage people to use your technology do you?

Tuesday, March 7, 2017 4:07 PM