Boot Windows PE from UFD RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to  Boot Windows PE from UFD (usb flash drive) in Win 7 AIK. As per Win 7 AIK documentation I can see "Create a Bootable Windows PE RAM Disk on UFD" only.

Is it possible to Boot Windows PE from UFD and not from PE RAM disk?

Does it supported in Win 8 ADK?

Wednesday, June 21, 2017 7:33 AM

Answers

• Hi swayampv,

I am glad to hear that your issue has been resolved, please mark useful posts as answer.

Best Regards,

Hart 

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by swayampv Friday, June 23, 2017 10:24 AM
    Thursday, June 22, 2017 1:48 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for posting here.

You could create a WinPE to solve the issue.

You need to do a couple of thing.
    •1. Install the Windows ADK
    •2. Install Windows PE
    •3. Boot to Windows PE
       Install the following features from the Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit (Windows ADK)

Deployment Tools: includes the Deployment and Imaging Tools Environment.
              Windows Preinstallation Environment : includes the files used to install Windows PE.

1.Connect the USB device to the PC you want to work on.
           2.Turn on the PC, and press the key that opens the firmware boot menus.
           3.Select the USB drive. Windows PE starts automatically.
          After the command window appears, the wpeinit command runs, which sets up the system. This might take a few minutes.

Based on my search, it support windows 8. Here are  document, For more information, please see it,

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/winpe-create-usb-bootable-drive

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-in/library/hh825109.aspx

Best Regards,

Hart

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, June 21, 2017 9:07 AM
  • I had installed Windows 8 ADK and performed steps as mentioned in below link.

technet.microsoft.com/en-in/library/hh825109.aspx

1.Connected the USB device to the PC .

2.Turn on the PC, and pressed the key that opens the BIOS boot menus.

3.Selected the USB drive. Windows PE starts automatically.

After the command window appears, the wpeinit command runs, which sets up the system.

The basic winpe image ran from memory (WinPE RAM disk).

WinPE RAM disk showing drive letter "X:" and USB flash drive(UFD) showing drive letter "F:".

But my requirement is to Boot Windows PE from UFD and not from WinPE RAM disk. It means USB flash drive(UFD) letter should show "X:" and not "F:". WinPE RAM disk and USB flash drive(UFD) should point to same drive letter "X:". And I do not want to remove the USB Flash drive while it is running.

Can you please provide steps how to achieve this.

Wednesday, June 21, 2017 9:26 AM
  • Have you tried this?

This is a signature Any samples given are not meant to have error checking or show best practices. They are meant to just illustrate a point. I may also give inefficient code or introduce some problems to discourage copy/paste coding. This is because the major point of my posts is to aid in the learning process.

• Edited by Darran Rowe Wednesday, June 21, 2017 9:58 AM
    Wednesday, June 21, 2017 9:54 AM
  • Thanks it worked.
    • Proposed as answer by Hart Wang Friday, June 23, 2017 2:14 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Hart Wang Friday, June 23, 2017 2:14 AM
    Wednesday, June 21, 2017 12:13 PM
  • Hi swayampv,

I am glad to hear that your issue has been resolved, please mark useful posts as answer.

Best Regards,

Hart 

• Marked as answer by swayampv Friday, June 23, 2017 10:24 AM
    Thursday, June 22, 2017 1:48 AM