none
How to create an appointment for other people based on a .msg file RRS feed

• Question

• A web application should allow users to create an appointment. After the process in the application is done, we envisioned that the user can download a .msg outlook item to his computer (using the library http://independentsoft.com/msg/index.html to create the .msg file). This library allows to create a fully functional appointment which can be opened in outlook.

The biggest issue that we are facing is that for some customers an assistant will do the actual scheduling of the appointment. It means that the assistant will download the .msg file from the web application and then will use his/her outlook to set the exact date/time of the appointment. The problem is that when the user double clicks the .msg file, it will open as an appointment correctly including all the other invited people, BUT it will automatically add the user who opened it as the organizer.

But in this case it shouldn't add the user as the organizer, but the assistant might be scheduling the task for others without the assistant being actually participant of the meeting. The assistant will have read/write access to the manager's calendar and wants to add this appointment to their calendar without being him-/herself part of the meeting.

Is there any trick to accomplish this? We want to avoid to have to install anything at the user's side.

Thank you

David

Friday, March 4, 2016 3:51 PM

Answers

• Hi David,

>> The problem is that when the user double clicks the .msg file, it will open as an appointment correctly including all the other invited people, BUT it will automatically add the user who opened it as the organizer.

I create a msg file manually and make a test with your description, I could reproduce your issue. I think this is a limit of Outlook. With outlook product, I am afraid we could not achieve your requirement. It seems we need to use outlook automation to work around this issue, but it will need to be installed or write some code in user’s side.

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, March 7, 2016 7:09 AM

All replies

• Hello David,

Do you deal with Exchange only? If so, you may consider using EWS, see EWS Managed API, EWS, and web services in Exchange for more information. Also you may find Office 365 REST API.

Friday, March 4, 2016 4:46 PM
  • Eugene -

The application will be used by a large number of different users within different organisations, so it would be hard to get access to all their exchange web services (many of them not even reacheable from outside their own network). So it seems there is really no way to solve this without either running a piece of software on the client PC or having access to the exchange server?

David

Monday, March 7, 2016 7:08 AM
  • Hi David,

>> The problem is that when the user double clicks the .msg file, it will open as an appointment correctly including all the other invited people, BUT it will automatically add the user who opened it as the organizer.

I create a msg file manually and make a test with your description, I could reproduce your issue. I think this is a limit of Outlook. With outlook product, I am afraid we could not achieve your requirement. It seems we need to use outlook automation to work around this issue, but it will need to be installed or write some code in user’s side.

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, March 7, 2016 7:09 AM