mirror database in sql server 2005 standard edition RTM in high protection mode RRS feed

• Question

• Please tell me step by step process for create mirror database in sql server 2005 standard edition RTM in high protection mode?
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 7:06 AM

Answers

• You can not configure Database Mirroring in SQL Server 2005 RTM, there is a way, but not supported by Microsoft Support.

Database Mirroring is available with SQL Server 2005 SP1 onwards.

Here is a link for a step-by-step guide on how to configure database mirroring. Do not follow the step for the Witness server in this document.

Hope, this may help.

SKG: Please Marked as Answered, if it resolves your issue.
    • Marked as answer by Cup Of Life Wednesday, August 25, 2010 11:11 AM
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 7:19 AM
  • As said earlier, to enable Database Mirroring you need to apply SQL Server 2005 SP1, SQL Server 2005 RTM is not supported Database Mirroring feature.

If you have already applied SP1, then you don't need to execute the above command. Start from the next part of the article.

Let me know, if you need any other information.

• Marked as answer by Cup Of Life Wednesday, August 25, 2010 11:10 AM
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 8:39 AM
  • It was there, but not supported any more. I was trying to perform it on a test machine, its not working now. Probably the latest build is not supporting that, cannot confirm on that correctly. May be the other Community Experts can give a more correct reason behind that.

I will update the post, thanks for pointing it. You can apply the latest service pack and start the configuration.

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 10:08 AM
  • No, its not possible. Both the instances should have same version of SQL Server (as said earlier SQL Server 2005 SP1 or above) and Service Packs.

Sorry, for the delayed response.

• Edited by Sudeepta Ganguly Thursday, August 26, 2010 9:57 AM adding info
    • Marked as answer by Cup Of Life Thursday, September 16, 2010 6:50 AM
    Thursday, August 26, 2010 9:56 AM

All replies

• You can not configure Database Mirroring in SQL Server 2005 RTM, there is a way, but not supported by Microsoft Support.

Database Mirroring is available with SQL Server 2005 SP1 onwards.

Here is a link for a step-by-step guide on how to configure database mirroring. Do not follow the step for the Witness server in this document.

Hope, this may help.

• Marked as answer by Cup Of Life Wednesday, August 25, 2010 11:11 AM
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 7:19 AM
  • i have seen the link which you sent.. in that you said that start the database mirroring feature in RTM by executing 

1: DBCC TRACEON (1400);
      2: GO
    i have executed that one but still it shows error.. what is the solution for this one?

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 8:33 AM
  • As said earlier, to enable Database Mirroring you need to apply SQL Server 2005 SP1, SQL Server 2005 RTM is not supported Database Mirroring feature.

If you have already applied SP1, then you don't need to execute the above command. Start from the next part of the article.

Let me know, if you need any other information.

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 8:39 AM
  • but in your blog you said that RTM edition supports by executing that command..
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 9:41 AM
  • It was there, but not supported any more. I was trying to perform it on a test machine, its not working now. Probably the latest build is not supporting that, cannot confirm on that correctly. May be the other Community Experts can give a more correct reason behind that.

I will update the post, thanks for pointing it. You can apply the latest service pack and start the configuration.

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 10:08 AM
  • In Database mirroring both (principal and mirror) servers should be same versions or no need?

I am using principal as SQL server 2005 sp1 and mirror as SQL server 2005 RTM. is it possible to mirror database?

Thursday, August 26, 2010 5:33 AM
  • No, its not possible. Both the instances should have same version of SQL Server (as said earlier SQL Server 2005 SP1 or above) and Service Packs.

Sorry, for the delayed response.

• Edited by Sudeepta Ganguly Thursday, August 26, 2010 9:57 AM adding info
    • Marked as answer by Cup Of Life Thursday, September 16, 2010 6:50 AM
    Thursday, August 26, 2010 9:56 AM