Multiple local workspaces mapped to oneTFS project RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Is it possible to have two different local workspaces mapped to one TFS project using the Eclipse TFS Plugin?

To elaborate:

If I have a TFS project, $/tfs/projx, can I create two eclipse workspaces, c:\proj1xWorkspace1 and c:\proj1xWorkspace2 both of which are mapped to $/tfs/projx?

I am able to check the source ($/tfs/projx) out to the first workspace (c:\proj1xWorkspace1). I can then do a manage workspaces (Team --> Manage Workspaces...) on that project and create an additional workspace/s mapping. However I am unable to use this new workspace mapping (mapping of $/tfs/projx to c:\proj1xWorkspace2)  in the new eclipse workspace (c:\proj1xWorkspace2) - it defaults to the original workspace mapping (mapping of $/tfs/projx to c:\proj1xWorkspace1). I can unmap the first workspace but that results in the source being deleted from c:\eclipeWorkspace\proj1xWorkspace1!

Thanks for your assistance

Andre

• Edited by Innovation4 Tuesday, April 23, 2013 6:15 PM
    Tuesday, April 23, 2013 6:09 PM

Answers

• Hi,

So when you go to the second eclipse workspace, after you connect to TFS, you can do manage workspaces and add a new TFS workspace. Then you can switch to that TFS workspace and import your project again. In this case the second eclipse workspace will use the second TFS workspace as the default.

Please let me know if that does not fix your issue.

Thanks

Mireille

• Marked as answer by Innovation4 Tuesday, April 23, 2013 8:07 PM
    Tuesday, April 23, 2013 7:09 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I am not quite sure if I understand what you want to do here. do  you want to map the same server path to two different local paths in the same TFS workspace?

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks

Mireille

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 6:26 PM
  • Hi Mireille,

I want to connect two disticint Eclipse workspaces on one development PC to one TFS project on the TFS Server.

Each Eclipse workspace would have its own copy of the source.

Thanks

Andre

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 6:38 PM
  • Hi,

If you want each Eclipse workspace to have a different copy of the source (like different locations on disk), then you need to use a different TFS workspace in each eclipse workspace and map the server project in both.

Please let me know if this does not answer you question.

Thanks

Mireille

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 6:42 PM
  • Hi Mireille,

Using a different TFS Workspace in each eclipse is what I am struggling with.

I start two eclipse instances each pointing to its own workspace. (c:\proj1xWorkspace1 and c:\proj1xWorkspace2 respectively)

I then import the TFS source into c:\proj1xWorkspace1. This creates a tfs workspace mapping $/tfs/projx to c:\proj1xWorkspace1.

If I then do the same in the second eclipse workspace it defaults to the tfs workspace mapping of $/tfs/projx to c:\proj1xWorkspace1. (I cannot specify on the import that it should use a different mapping.

I can manually create a second tfs workspace mapping (by clicking Team --> Manage Workspaces... on the project in the first eclipse instance)  that maps  $/tfs/projx to c:\proj1xWorkspace2, but I cannot set it as the default in the second eclipse workspace.

Thanks

Andre

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 7:03 PM
  • Hi,

So when you go to the second eclipse workspace, after you connect to TFS, you can do manage workspaces and add a new TFS workspace. Then you can switch to that TFS workspace and import your project again. In this case the second eclipse workspace will use the second TFS workspace as the default.

Please let me know if that does not fix your issue.

Thanks

Mireille

• Marked as answer by Innovation4 Tuesday, April 23, 2013 8:07 PM
    Tuesday, April 23, 2013 7:09 PM
  • Thanks Mireille,

I eventually got this to work.

In case it might help someone else, make sure when you manually create the TFS workspace mapping that the name of the local folder matches that of the TFS repository. Since my tfs project was projx, my folder needed to end with \projx.

It would be nice if there was a way to manage workspaces in an empty eclipse workspace. The only way I know is right click on an EXISTING project, select Team, Manage Workspaces... Or is there some other way?

Thanks

Andre

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 8:16 PM
  • Hi,

You can also do manage workspaces from Team Explorer from pending changes page, from the actions menu.

Thanks

Mireille

• Proposed as answer by TomReu_Alex Thursday, November 21, 2013 4:43 PM
    Tuesday, April 23, 2013 9:08 PM