Loading an image file in WinRT

Question

• I have a WinRT project, and am getting an error when trying to preview an image.  I have set capabilities to allow access to the Pictures library, and am using the following code:

var file = await Windows.Storage.KnownFolders.PicturesLibrary.GetFileAsync(path);
         var fileStream = await file.OpenAsync(Windows.Storage.FileAccessMode.Read);
         var img = new BitmapImage();
         img.SetSource(fileStream);

This error occurs on the first line:

A first chance exception of type 'System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException' occurred in mscorlib.dll

Additional information: Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component.

I've tried other operations, such as `folder.GetFilesAsync()` with the same error.  Is there another or capability that I need to allow this functionality to work correctly?
    Monday, June 02, 2014 7:11 AM

All replies

• did you enable access to the PictureFolder in your manifest?

Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer - Windows Store Apps Using C#

Monday, June 02, 2014 7:47 AM
  • Yes, sorry, that was what I meant when I said "allow access"
    Monday, June 02, 2014 7:50 AM
  • Hi pcmichaels,

Problem solved? The code you are using actually works fine on my side, could you try it with another machine? I'm afraid this could be your environment issue.

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Wednesday, June 18, 2014 7:25 AM
  • No - it still occurs; I will try it on another PC, but surely if it can occur on my machine it could occur on a machine running it, if they have their 'environment' incorrectly configured.
    Wednesday, June 18, 2014 12:30 PM
  • Alright, give a try and let's see if the same thing happen.

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Friday, June 20, 2014 2:07 AM