Moving a very small SQL Express database to Azure RRS feed

• Question

• We have an old CRM that has a specially programmed Microsoft Access front end and a SQL Express 2008 back end.  The database is 200MB.  We would like to move it off of our on-premises server to Azure. We have approximately 10 users of the database. In the past they have had Access on their machines, but we would like for them to be able to access it through a remote solution.  What is the best most cost effective solution? Migrate our on premises SQL Express to Azure SQL and setup virtual desktops for the users or migrate SQL Express to a VM that users can connect to through virtual desktops? Are there any other options?  Thank you in advance!
    Saturday, April 25, 2020 11:50 AM

All replies

• You can calculate the cost firstly and then make a decision.

Here is Azure Pricing Calculator: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/calculator/

Sunday, April 26, 2020 12:39 AM
  • Hi SteveM182,

I suggest you read the MS document Choose the right deployment option in Azure SQL.

Hope this could help you.

Best regards,
    Cathy 

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to  MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Monday, April 27, 2020 7:04 AM
  • Hi SteveM182,

Any update? If the reply could help you, please mark the useful reply as answer.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    In addition, if you have another questions, please feel free to ask.
    Thanks for your contribution.

Best regards,
    Cathy 

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to  MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Tuesday, April 28, 2020 7:50 AM
  • I recently moved an SQL Express DB to Azure SQL DB.  It is a small DB with less than 5 users.  I have a basic plan which is $5/month.  I would suggest a standard plan which is $15/month.  It is easy to scale up.  If you access it from on-premise you need to provide IP address for the on-premise locations.  I am using PowerApps to access/input data.  I also have an Azure Virtual Windows 10 desktop setup.  I use that to run reports using Excel and VBA.
    • Proposed as answer by Enric Vives Wednesday, May 13, 2020 2:31 PM
    Wednesday, May 13, 2020 12:58 PM
  • Moving a small database to Azure can be a good solution, why would the users need a virtual desktop? they can connect to Azure from their current system (unless they need to access from non-company systems).

I have had a small DB (100MB) on the Azure Basic plan ($5/m) since 2013. It is fine for transactions, - SQL touching a moderately small number of rows. My guess is the basic plan get you the compute power of a 200MHz Pentium/Pentium Pro processor from 25 years ago, or about 1/20th the power of a modern processor core.

So depending on you (SQL) usage, either the Basic or Standard ($15/m) could work for you.

ps. I recently started backup of on-prem to Azure (Vault?) because I though the storage is cheap, but there is a charge of $15/m for the virtual machine (desktop?) so I may look into backup local, then copied to Azure storage

jchang

Monday, May 18, 2020 2:05 PM