none
Compile with Visual Studio 2015 tool set for update 1, when Visual Studio 2015 Update 3 is installed?

Question

• In my department, we are migrating from Visual Studio 2012 to Visual Studio 2015. Many developers already have Visual Studio 2015 Update 2 or Update 3 installed, because it allows using Visual Studio 2012 (v110) tool set when compiling C++ code.

Due to limitations in Nvidia Cuda, we can not use the platform tool set that comes with Visual Studio 2015 Update 3, and we need instead to use the tool set for Visual Studio 2015 Update 1.

Is it possible to compile with the Update 1 toolset, even if Visual Studio 2015 Update 3 is installed, or do we all need to uninstall Visual Studio 2015 Update 3, and reinstall Update 1?

Any help is highly appreciated.

Jøger

Friday, July 01, 2016 8:01 PM

All replies

• Hi Jogerh,

thanks for posting here.

This forum is about c++ development. Since your case is more related to vs settings, I would suggest you post on Microsoft Community for suitable help.

Your cooperation and  understanding will be grateful.

Best Regards,

Sera Yu

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Monday, July 04, 2016 2:13 AM
  • Hi Jogerh,

Could you tell us which specific platform toolset comes from Update 3 but not in Update 1 in Visual Studio 2015?

I have checked both of my Visual Studio 2015 with Update 1 and Visual Studio 2015 with Update 3, they have similar platform toolset and I don't find any new toolset from Update 3.

If you want to use Visual Studio 2012 (v110) toolset in your Visual Studio 2015, please install Visual Studio 2012 on your machine which installed Visual Studio 2015. Then you can choose Visual Studio 2012 (v110) toolset in your Visual Studio 2015 C++ project property page window.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, July 05, 2016 2:50 AM
  • Hi Weiwei, and thank you for your reply. Specifically, my problem is that certain CUDA headers have preprocessor checks on the compiler version:

#if _MSC_FULL_VER >= 190023918
    #error Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 Update >= 2 is not supported yet!
    #endif /* _MSC_FULL_VER >= 190023918 */

So my question is:

With Visual Studio 2015 Update 2/3, is it possible to compile with a VS 2015 toolset from Update 1, such that _MSC_FULL_VER < 190023918?

Thanks,

Jøger

Jøger

Monday, July 25, 2016 1:51 PM
  • Hi Jøger,

>>With Visual Studio 2015 Update 2/3, is it possible to compile with a VS 2015 toolset from Update 1, such that _MSC_FULL_VER < 190023918?

Generally the high update package will support the old package.

Just to make this issue clearly, if you compile it using the high update 2/3, do you get any compiled error? 

Note:

If possible, you could take a backup for your project before you test it in your side.

Best Regards,

Jack

Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, July 26, 2016 12:50 PM