Is JDK actually installed on Hosted Build Controllers? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a .NET project in Visual Studio Online with a custom build task that depends on a Java installation (ANTLR). The official documentation says that it is installed, I quote:

Other components

• Apache ANT 1.9.4
    • Apache Maven 3.2.2
    • Git for Windows 1.9.5
    • Java Standard Edition Development Kit 1.8

However, my build fails with an error "Cannot locate a Java installation". I'm using Git, if that matters.

I have two questions:

1. Is Java (JDK or JRE) actually installed on Hosted Build Controllers?
    2. If so, how can I locate it (which environment variables or paths should I check)?

Answers I'm not looking for:

• "You can use an on-premises build controller!"
      Yes, I know, but my question is about a hosted one. I'm willing to switch to an on-premises controller if I'm absolutely sure that a hosted controller cannot satisfy my needs.
    • "Read the documentation on Java projects"
      I do not have a Java project. Nor am I using Ant/Maven. I'm using .NET (C#) and standard MSBuild, but one of my MSBuild tasks depends on a present Java installation. I was under the impression that, since VS Online can build Java projects, it should have the JDK installed on the controller?

Thank you for the answers!

Tuesday, April 7, 2015 11:31 PM

All replies

• The real list of software that's installed on the hosted build controller can be found here: http://listofsoftwareontfshostedbuildserver.azurewebsites.net/. If there are any differences between that and the page on visualstudio.com (that you appear to be quoting), believe the former as that's the source of truth that's updated daily.

Given that I don't see ANT, Maven, Git, or Java in the list, the answer to your question seems to be "no" at present. The pages on visualstudio.com appear to be in error (I'll let the page owner know about that). But watch the azurewebsite.net list as it does change over time.

Just so it's in the answer here, you can connect an on-prem build server and link it to VSO. The process is described on Deploy and configure a build server, where you set the build service on the on-prem server to point to the project collection on VSO. I've used this successfully for Xamarin projects building for Android.

Thursday, April 9, 2015 11:36 PM