Simplify tool breaks B-Pline paths RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using Expression 3 and I am having a problem where I create an object using B-Spline, Simplify by about 20%, then I save it and exit Design.  When I come back to it later the smoothness of the object is gone and it doesn't seem to keep any of the curves.

It seems to be very random on when it does or does not do this.  Sometimes I can come back and it will be fine, other times the object will be all jagged.

Anyone else experience this?

Thanks!
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 10:27 PM

All replies

• Well this is interesting. You shouldn't be able to simplify a b-spline path in the first place. The Simplify feature removes nodes on a bezier path and a b-spline isn't a bezier path. When you select a b-spline path and choose simplify, do any of the b-spline nodes disappear?
    Annie
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 11:38 PM
  • Yes, if you create something that is very heavy in B-Spline points then, just to over example, simplify by something like 60%.  You will see most of the points were removed.

As I stated it is very random, you can then save that and open it again and the points may or may not have the correct amount of curve. 

Hope that makes sense.
    Friday, January 15, 2010 4:21 PM
  • Thanks, Tim.  I have an email in to our Design tech support but haven't heard back yet. I'll let you know what I find out. Sorry for the delay.
    Annie
    Friday, January 15, 2010 7:55 PM
  • Hi Annie & Tim,

Not to confuse the issue, I had similar problems in Design 1 & 2 with the b-spline tool.  Annie, you may remember this thread:

http://social.expression.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/design/thread/b80b1719-df5d-4a42-b394-84ed29c3c4cb
    I experienced the problem in testing several scenarios to try to figure out what was happening.  Perhaps there is no connection, but I just wanted to mention it.

Hope all's well...and a belated Happy New Year!

Best Regards,
    ~Fred
    • Edited by Fred C_ Friday, January 15, 2010 11:10 PM corrected link
    Friday, January 15, 2010 11:08 PM