update secondary tile with a TileTemplate RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

In my app, the application tile needs to be a square image(150 X150), but the secondary tile needs to be a wide image(310 X 150)?

To create a square application tile, I just enter a value for Tile Logo, but leave Tile Wide Logo empty in my app package.appxmanifest. Is there another ways to create it?  I was able to create a static wide secondary tile, but if I want to update it using a TileTemplate(tileWideImageAndText) described in http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/windows.ui.notifications.tiletemplatetype.aspx.  It fails and I don’t get any errors.  The secondary tile is just not updating.  I am using Notifications.TileUpdateManager.createTileUpdaterForSecondaryTile(). 

In order to update the secondary tile using a TileTemplate, I had to add a value for Tile Wide Logo.  But then, the main application tile becomes a wide tile. 

What should I do to accomplish both square application tile and a wide secondary tile with a TileTemplate tileWideImageAndText? Thank you very much.

Saturday, February 11, 2012 12:17 AM

Answers

• Hi Leo,

Yes and yes.

Download the Secondary Tiles sample.

For the first scenario add this at the top:

var uriWideLogo = new Windows.Foundation.Uri("ms-resource:images/tile-sdk.png");

and then after setting the small logo set the wide one:

tile.wideLogo = uriWideLogo;

You will see that it shows the text and the image!

-Jeff

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

Thursday, February 16, 2012 8:06 PM

All replies

• Hi Leo,

There is a lot of information in your post.  Is the question simply, "Can I have a Wide Secondary tile and restrict the Primary tile to a square tile"?

-Jeff

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

Thursday, February 16, 2012 3:35 PM
  • Hi Jeff,

Sorry for the confusion.  You got most of my question.  But more specifically,  “Can I have a Wide (TileWideImageAndText, not just a wide image) Secondary tile and restrict the Primary tile to a square tile?”  I was not able to do that.  If it’s possible, can you give me some sample codes?  Thank you very much.

Leo

Thursday, February 16, 2012 6:32 PM
  • Hi Leo,

Yes and yes.

Download the Secondary Tiles sample.

For the first scenario add this at the top:

var uriWideLogo = new Windows.Foundation.Uri("ms-resource:images/tile-sdk.png");

and then after setting the small logo set the wide one:

tile.wideLogo = uriWideLogo;

You will see that it shows the text and the image!

-Jeff

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

Thursday, February 16, 2012 8:06 PM