How do I mark multiple words to be a single entity? RRS feed

• Question

• Sample phrase; What is the temperature on the back patio?
    I want to highlight "back patio" as an entity. When I try and select both back and patio it selects just the word back. I can select both words individually and then I end up with multiple entities instead of one.
    Essentially I want to be able to mark more then one word to mean a single entity. How do I do that in the UI?
    Monday, April 11, 2016 2:49 AM

All replies

• You can do that just make sure to select both of them by clicking on the mouse and highlighting both. Please let us know if you still have issuing highlighting it

Monday, April 11, 2016 3:28 PM
  • Unfortunately I still have issues. See the following screen cast to demonstrate the issue. The two words have been recognized as two separate entities and I deselect them and attempt to reselect them as one and it doesn't work. I select both words and release the mouse and it selects only the first word.

Screen Cast

Using Windows 10 and Edge in this case.
    • Edited by Rod Toll Tuesday, April 12, 2016 3:20 PM
    Tuesday, April 12, 2016 3:19 PM
  • Can you please email us on luservice@microsoft.com and we'll take it from there.
    Tuesday, April 12, 2016 5:00 PM
  • I had the same problem - it's a browser issue.

Try another browser (I use the big G browser for that...) - and it works well for me.

Thursday, April 14, 2016 2:19 PM
  • This is a problem with the Edge browser, use Chrome.
    Saturday, April 16, 2016 3:01 PM
  • I get the same problem, and I'm using Chrome. Only able to select single words.
    Thursday, July 21, 2016 5:11 PM
  • What worked for me is that i needed to use another browser in addition to deselecting the single workds first. Hope that helps

Best Regards Omar Sultan

Friday, September 23, 2016 2:22 PM
  • Is this issue resolved or there is a workaround for this? I am still facing the same issue on edge and chrome browser.
    Monday, March 12, 2018 11:12 AM
  • I'm having the same problem.  I can't make multi-word entities.  I've tried EDGE, Firefox, IE and Chrome.

EDIT:  I finally figured it out.  You have to click the first word in the phrase, then the last word, then you can select an entity for the whole phrase.  

This document gave me the clue:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/cognitive-services/luis/luis-quickstart-primary-and-secondary-data

It reads:  "In the utterance, Reply with I got your message, I will have the answer tomorrow, select the first word of the message body, I, and the last word of the message body, tomorrow.  

I think they should replace the word "select" with the word "click" to make that clearer.  Or just make the LUIS web interface more intuitive so you don't even have to read the docs.  API.AI (aka Dialogflow) does a better job with this.  

• Edited by rvmey Friday, March 30, 2018 10:53 PM
    Friday, March 30, 2018 10:11 PM
  • Good work, thanks!

Friday, June 15, 2018 2:02 PM
  • This is an old question, but if I came here for help, this answer may help others...

Use it like a standard "multi-select".  On Windows, hold Ctrl and select each word in the phrase.

Wednesday, October 9, 2019 8:36 PM