Reference to WCF RIA Service doesn't appear in the Add Reference window RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to build a LightSwitch app that uses a WCF RIA Service (to access Active Directory). 

I've created a new LightSwitch app and added a WCF RIA Services Class Library to it (called RiaServiceLibrary).

I've added a DomainService (unchecking the Client option).

I've added some code to the DomainService to set up a default query and update and delete methods.

I've built the solution.

Then, I right-click on Data Source and select Add Data Source...

I click on WCF RIA Service and click Next.  I wait for a while.

I click on Add Reference and in the Add Rerence window, in the Projects tab, I select RiaServiceLibrary and click OK.

I wait for a while, the window flickers/moves a few mm but nothing appears.

There are no errors in Visual Studio and nothing in the Output window that suggests anything went wrong (or right).  What it is that LightSwitch is looking for, to determine that it's a valid WCF Service?  What might break it?

• Edited by SSG31415926 Wednesday, December 14, 2011 10:13 AM Made a mistake
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 10:04 AM

All replies

• Never mind.  I re-read the samples I'd found and realised they'd used a standard Class Library, not a WCF RIA Services Class Library.  I'd be interested to know why the latter doesn't work.
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 11:10 AM
  • I've got the same problem with this: http://www.paulspatterson.com/technology/lightswitch/microsoft-lightswitch-using-user-information-for-lookup-lists/. I want to add a data source WCF RIA Serivce, but it does not work.

I right-click Data Sources and select Add Data Source - WCF RIA Service

Next the window Attach Data Source Wizard appears

When I click Add Reference and select my WCF RIA Service class in the Projects tab nothing happens.

My WCF RIA Service doesn't appear in the Attach Data Source Window list

Thursday, December 15, 2011 9:41 AM
  • Hi,
    Did you solved the problem.Now im having same problem now.
    Saturday, October 26, 2013 1:30 PM
  • No, I moved away from LightSwitch and never got to the bottom of this.
    Sunday, October 27, 2013 10:04 PM