Adding page number to Word 2007 document RRS feed

• Question

• I placed this thread in this forum because I did not see a Microsoft Office for Users forum category or a Microsoft Word for Users Forum.  If someone reading this knows of one feel free to move it to the proper forum.

I was fairly competent in Word 97 and 2003.  Now it seems that I can't do anything I used to be able to do.

I am trying to add page numbers to a Word 2007 document.  Seems like a very simple task.  Since I don't want page numbers on my Title page, I inserted a section break of the "Next Page" variety.

I placed my cursor in Section 2, where the text of the document begins.  I went to the Insert tab and selected "Page Number\Bottom of page\Plain Number 2"

I selected "Page Number\Format Page Number". In the dialog that opened I deselected "Continue from previous section" and select  "Start at 1".  Word proceeded to add page numbers to both sections.

I selected section 1.  I selected Page Number\Remove Page Number.  Nothing happened.  I did the same in section 2.  Nothing happened.  I returned to section 1 and manually deleted the page number from the footer.  All the page numbers in section 2 were deleted. I did an undo. Then in section 1, I selected Footer\Remove Footer.   Nothing happened.

In Word 97 - 2003, I do not recall any problem with configuring the page numbers for different sections independently.  Why can I not do this in this version?  Why doesn't remove page number or remove footer work at all?  I am feely pretty stupid and am very frustrated.

Edward R. Joell MCSD MCDBA
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 10:29 PM

Answers

• Go to section 2.

Activate the page footer (for example by double-clicking in it).

By default, the "Link to Previous" button in the Design tab of the ribbon (under Header & Footer Tools) will be highlighted.

Click to unhighlight this button.

The footer of section 2 will now be independent of that of section 1.

Alternatively, you could use a single section, activate the footer and tick the check box "Different first page" in the Design tab of the ribbon. This unlinks the footer of the first page from those of subsequent pages.

Regards, Hans Vogelaar
    • Marked as answer by Cindy Meister MVP Thursday, January 19, 2012 6:43 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by joeller Thursday, January 19, 2012 12:36 PM
    • Marked as answer by joeller Thursday, January 19, 2012 12:36 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by joeller Thursday, January 19, 2012 2:24 PM
    • Marked as answer by joeller Thursday, January 19, 2012 2:27 PM
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 10:38 PM
  • The user forum is here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/word

I see that Hans has already answered the "how to" question.

Kind Regards, Rich ... http://greatcirclelearning.com
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 10:41 PM
  • I did all of that then inserted the page numbers.  Only page 1 was numbered.  The rest were left blank.  I had to go to page two and insert page numbers on that page to get the rest of the document to be numbered.
    Thursday, January 19, 2012 2:27 PM

All replies

• Go to section 2.

Activate the page footer (for example by double-clicking in it).

By default, the "Link to Previous" button in the Design tab of the ribbon (under Header & Footer Tools) will be highlighted.

Click to unhighlight this button.

The footer of section 2 will now be independent of that of section 1.

Alternatively, you could use a single section, activate the footer and tick the check box "Different first page" in the Design tab of the ribbon. This unlinks the footer of the first page from those of subsequent pages.

Regards, Hans Vogelaar
    • Unmarked as answer by joeller Thursday, January 19, 2012 2:24 PM
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 10:38 PM
  • The user forum is here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/word

I see that Hans has already answered the "how to" question.

Kind Regards, Rich ... http://greatcirclelearning.com
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 10:41 PM
  • Thanks guys I will try that when I get to work.  Why doesn't the Forums drop down show the users forum.  Makes it difficult when creating a question.

Ms Meister I believe it is my right to determine whether a reply has answered my question.  It is ridiculous that a moderator will determine that a question has been abandoned between the time I leave work and the time I am getting ready to go work.

Thursday, January 19, 2012 12:42 PM
  • I did all of that then inserted the page numbers.  Only page 1 was numbered.  The rest were left blank.  I had to go to page two and insert page numbers on that page to get the rest of the document to be numbered.
    Thursday, January 19, 2012 2:27 PM
  • Thanks guys I will try that when I get to work.  Why doesn't the Forums drop down show the users forum.  Makes it difficult when creating a question.

Ms Meister I believe it is my right to determine whether a reply has answered my question.  It is ridiculous that a moderator will determine that a question has been abandoned between the time I leave work and the time I am getting ready to go work.

True. Cindy, I recommend proposing the answers first and then waiting a week to see if the person replies. That gives the Asker (Edward Joell in this case) plenty of time to agree or disagree.

Edward, you might not know this, but what you did (removing Cindy's marks and then marking them yourself later once you've verified that they answer your question)... is the best way to respond. This way the answerers actually get more recognition points (15 instead of 10) when the Asker marks them as the answer. So that's another reason to wait a week... to give the Answerers opportunity to get more points (which only happens when the Asker marks the answers).

Thanks!

Ed Price a.k.a User Ed, Microsoft Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)
    Saturday, January 21, 2012 3:06 AM
  • Thanks Ed :-D

Monday, January 23, 2012 3:15 PM