The following forum(s) have migrated to Microsoft Q&A (Preview): Developing Universal Windows apps!
Visit Microsoft Q&A (Preview) to post new questions.

Learn More

different speech recognizers and speech synthesizers? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Is there any difference on the languages brought up by InstallSpeechRecognizers.All and InstalledVoices.All? I understand that the Voices will also bring different genders etc. but if I install e.g. Italian speech package via the settings menu on the phone, this will install both Text To Speech and Speech To Text for Italian, right?

Meaning, is it enough to assume that if I find Italian in TextToSpeech (via InstalledVoices.All), Italian Speech To Text is also installed?

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 10:46 PM

All replies

• is it enough to assume that if I find Italian in TextToSpeech (via InstalledVoices.All), Italian Speech To Text is also installed?

I do not believe this is not a safe assumption...

Speech to text requires a lot more processing power and reference data so it takes longer to enable Speech to Text support for a given dialect than it does to enable text to speech.  So, if I recall correctly, two features are decoupled rather than delaying availability of text to speech.

-Eric.

Thursday, February 6, 2014 8:33 PM
  • Yeah, I think the correct approach is to check for existence of both. The speech languages get installed as packages but there is no guarantee that the package will have both TTS and recognizer available as far as I can recall.

Gabriel GHIZILA [MSFT] --Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, April 17, 2014 10:57 PM