Hardware screen resolution is changed for Metro apps

Question

• The Windows 8 beta download page appears to have changed the screen resolution for Metro apps.  I think it used to be 1366x768, or something like that, but now it is less: 1024 x 768.  Should I still buy a computer with the higher resolution screen for Metro app development?  What will I NOT be able to do with the 1024 x 768?

I am still looking for a good development tablet or convertible laptop.  What should I buy?  I don't see much in the Microsoft Store.  I tried an HP 2740p but couldn't get the touchscreen to work.  I'm still looking.  Any idea when hardware will start to appear that will work well?

Thanks,

Pam

Wednesday, December 21, 2011 9:10 PM

Answers

All replies

• For Metro Apps to work, you need to have the following:
    1) Your screen resolution needs to be at least 1024x768 for Metro Apps to work.
    2) Next, if you have turned off User Account Control, your Metro apps will not work.
    You can check if UAC is enabled here: Control Panel > User Accounts > Change User Account Control Settings
    3) Try using a Local account instead of a Windows Live ID account.

4) If you are using an Windows Live account, the password cannot be greater than 16 characters.
    If Metro Apps are still not working your other option would be to Refresh your PC.
    When you refresh your PC, your files and personalization settings won't change.

Your PC settings will be restored to their defaults.
    Apps from Windows Store will be kept. All other apps will be removed.
    Follow the steps below to restore your PC:
    Enter the Start screen
    Click Control Panel
    Click General on the left column
    Under the Refresh your PC without affecting your files, click Get started

Then follow the instructions that will be displayed on the screen.
    Once the refresh has finished, test to see if the Metro Apps are now working.

Look at the webpage below for machines that Microsoft tested for Windows Developer Preview:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/09/13/experiencing-windows-8-touch-on-windows-7-hardware.aspx

Hope this helps

Marilyn
    Wednesday, December 21, 2011 10:00 PM
  • Which hardware do you have? Have you installed the correct graphic card drivers?
    "A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Wednesday, December 21, 2011 10:51 PM
  • The Windows 8 beta download page appears to have changed the screen resolution for Metro apps.  I think it used to be 1366x768, or something like that, but now it is less: 1024 x 768.

Hello Pam,

you can get your old Screen Resolution back by right-clicking on the Desktop screen, clicking on Resolution and sliding to the resolution recommended for your screen(1366x768). If you can't do that and the resolution reverts back to something less (1024 x 768), you have a problem with your display driver. Please update it to the latest Windows7/WDP driver available on your manufacturer's site.

Irfan
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 2:46 AM
  • Hey Pam,

Please take a look at the information quoted below from the Building Windows 8 blog:

"The minimum resolution that Windows 8 Metro style apps can run is 1024x768... The resolution that supports all the features of Windows 8, including multitasking with snap is 1366x768."
    Reference: Building Windows 8 - Optimizing for both landscape and portrait

While you will be able to run Metro style applications using the 1024 x 768 resolution, you will be able to use all of the features by using the 1366x768 resolution.

Hope that helps.

Steven
    Wednesday, December 28, 2011 11:05 PM
  • Please take a look at the information quoted below from the Building Windows 8 blog:

"The minimum resolution that Windows 8 Metro style apps can run is 1024x768... The resolution that supports all the features of Windows 8, including multitasking with snap is 1366x768."

Steven

Hello Steven,

initially I had ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphic card on my HP desktop which came pre-installed with XP, when I installed Windows 7 every thing appeared large with a very low resolution and I was not able to get the original LCD monitor resolution (1280 x 1024) despite my best efforts to do so manually, resolution improved only when I was able to get my display driver from the updates. The same thing happened when I installed WDP and lasted till I got my driver from the update. Usually, its difficult, perhaps not possible, to adjust the resolution till you have a proper display driver installed. Pam's original display is 1366x768, he shall get it back once he has the display driver in place.

Irfan
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 6:02 PM
  • Hey Irfan,

I agree with you completely that a display driver usually helps in the situation you described, but I think Pam is asking questions about what features are available in the 1024 x 768 and in the 1366 x 768 resolutions.

I may be wrong, but it sounds like Pam is asking these questions so that a more informed decision can be made for what computer to purchase for use in development/testing with Windows Developer Preview.

Although we won't know for sure until Pam comes back to let us know :)

Steven
    Friday, December 30, 2011 9:58 PM
  • The Windows 8 beta download page appears to have changed the screen resolution for Metro apps. 

Pam

I think you are right, Steven,

I was probably looking at only a part of the question.

Irfan
    Saturday, December 31, 2011 6:34 PM