none
Text turns into mess when quick print is clicked RRS feed

• General discussion

• Every day I make and print a news document in Word 2010 that contains the text of news stories I've found on the web.  About once every other month when I print the document (*.doc) the screen instantly turns the text (except the title of each article) into what looks like each article being printed on one line about an inch long - a dark, dense, useless mess.  The document contains about 20-30 articles and is formatted Times New Roman 10.5 font.  The article titles look normal - they are formatted exactly the same except they use Bold font.  The rest of each article, which is usually a half to 2 pages long, looks like the mess described above.  Then  it goes to the next article and prints the title just fine and the rest of the article in the "mess format".  The image on the screen is exactly what comes out on the printer.  This is very annoying and a waste of paper and toner - can anyone help?  I am using Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, Office 2010 32 bit and the printer is an HP 1320.

Thanks

• Changed type Cindy Meister MVPModerator Monday, September 30, 2013 6:27 PM off-topic in developer forum but interesting information so should be retained
    Saturday, September 21, 2013 11:10 AM

All replies

• MVP Graham Mayor has posted the following reply in the old Microsoft .docmanagement newsgroup:

According to fellow contributor Bob Buckland: "It's a bug that somehow seems to have Word misreading temporary files related to the printer currently in use.  You can usually 'unscramble' the display from File=>Print and switch to the printer properties or to another printer then your normal one, or close Word and delete all files found on Start=>Search and looking for ~$*.*;*.tmp as the name string then restarting Word." See also
    http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

Saturday, September 21, 2013 5:31 PM
  • I've always been able to recover the document one way or another.  Sometimes just closing it and reopening it does it although yesterday, after closing and reopening it didn't help, I had to save the mess as a text file and then I was able to bring it back into Word and format the article titles bold and print the doc. A little later I opened the original mess and - lo and behold - it had magically gone back to normal although I didn't try to print it. 

The most annoying thing is that it's already gone to the printer memory and from there the only way to stop it is to shut off the printer which sometimes results in paper jams. I am going to try doing a print preview first instead of clicking 'Quick Print'.

Thanks

Sunday, September 22, 2013 8:25 AM
  • Your observations are consistent with the issue that Bob Buckland described a few years back. Thanks for the follow-up.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

Sunday, September 22, 2013 10:35 AM