Changed Windows password - SQL Sever Services are going against old password and causing my LAN account to get locked. RRS feed

• Question

• I have virtual machine installed on my work laptop. The VM has a different operating system with Sql Server 2005 installed in it.
    I was required to change network windows password recently. Since then whenever I run the VM the SQL Server Services 'SQL Server' and 'SQL Server Agent' which are setup to start automatically are constantly causing my LAN account to get locked.

I guess that upon starting the VM the SQL Server Services which are automatically getting kicked off are attempting to log on with my "old" network password (which I guess is Cached up somewhere and not got refreshed with my new password) and that would obviouly cause my LAN account to get locked.

I changed the 'Log On' on those services to 'Local System Account' which did't help, changing the same to 'Network Service' or my LAN account with new password didn't hep either.

I have been struggling with this for many days now.

How to get that SQL Server (database?) cache refreshed? How to get those SQL Server Services to start/log-on using my new windows password.

Would greatly appreciate your inputs.

Thanks in advance.

Monday, December 15, 2008 10:19 PM

All replies

• In "Event Viewer" "Failure Audit" this is what I see:

------------
    Source: MSSQL$OFFICESERVERS

Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE'. [CLIENT: <local machine>]

or

Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE'. [CLIENT: <named pipe>]
    ------------

Monday, December 15, 2008 10:45 PM
  • Is "built-in administrator" \ "NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM" removed from SQL Server? If yes Add "Local Service" to SQL Server and provide SA privilege then start SQL Services.

Else you can create a local account and add this account in SQL 2005 groups (check the groups through computer management). Once this done change SQL Service account to this new account and then try starting the service.
    Tuesday, December 16, 2008 6:14 AM
  • The issue with locking your account doesn't make much sense if you've changed the service account logon settings.
    Here's a few things to try:
    1. Start the VM with the virtual NIC/network disconnected to ensure it can't lock your account.
    2. Login to the VM and go to start->run-> services.msc
    3. Maximize the services mmc, expand the "Log On As" column and then click it sort by logon account
    4. Scroll through the list of logons to ensure your network account isn't listed anywhere. If it isn't then good; your problem with your login is NOT a result of a service attempting to start as you with a bad password. If it is there- change it to local system.

Now, to get the SQL service fixed do this:
    1. Right-click "My computer" and selecte "Manage"
    2. Expand the local users and groups, then groups, and ensure that the group granted start and login rights for the SQL 2005 server service has any account(s) you want to have access
    3. If you still can't start SQL then try these steps
    4. Drop to command prompt and type:
    net start mssql$officeservers /m 
    This starts the server in single user mode and it should allow any local admin to connect. Once you're connected be sure to grant sysadmin rights to the appropraite servce account(s) and ensure there are no SQL agent jobs that will launch using your old credentials or proxy account credentials that may lock you out.
    Tuesday, December 16, 2008 10:17 PM
  • I recently installed a single instance of SQL Server 2008 and used a local account for the server and agent. 

I have forgotten the password I assigned to this account.

Will I disable the server and agent if I change the Windows password on this account?

Thursday, July 2, 2009 8:23 PM