Make a TFS project read only. RRS feed

• Question

• I have moved projects from TFS 2010 to TFS 2013.

Eventually the projects in TFS 2010 will be deleted. Meanwhile is there a way to make a TFS project Read Only?

Certified Geek

Monday, March 31, 2014 2:28 PM

Answers

• I hope you got this straightened out. You do not need to change TFS group membership for any TFS group. You will need to remove all but Read permissions for those groups that have access to your code.

In source control, permissions can be set at any level of the source tree. Assuming that you, like many teams do, have set permissions at some level higher up in the source tree and let child items inherit those permissions, you would right-click the source tree node where permissions are applied > choose advanced > then security to open the security dialog for that node. Select each group in the left column one at a time, remove all but Read permission (not Denied, just Not set), then click save changes. Note that if the security dialog shows all allow permissions as inherited, you may want to go up higher in your source tree to do this. Alternately, you can break inheritance at this node and set permissions as I described.

"You will find a fortune, though it will not be the one you seek." - Blind Seer, O Brother Where Art Thou
    Please Mark posts as answers or helpful so that others may find the fortune they seek.

Wednesday, April 2, 2014 9:25 PM
  • Hi!

Maybe remove the change work items rights on root Area Path and remove the check-out rights from root source control for security groups.

• Proposed as answer by Tim Pacl Monday, March 31, 2014 6:24 PM
    • Marked as answer by Arne MN Wednesday, April 2, 2014 12:33 PM
    Monday, March 31, 2014 3:32 PM

All replies

• Hi!

Maybe remove the change work items rights on root Area Path and remove the check-out rights from root source control for security groups.

• Proposed as answer by Tim Pacl Monday, March 31, 2014 6:24 PM
    • Marked as answer by Arne MN Wednesday, April 2, 2014 12:33 PM
    Monday, March 31, 2014 3:32 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your post.

For this issue, Alexandr provided us the helpful solution, please confirm that.

If misunderstood anything, please describe your question in more detail and we will try to provide the better responses.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, April 2, 2014 11:05 AM
  • I am sorry if I am slow in understanding security on TFS.

I don't have any work items.

When I try to change security I get an error message.

You cannot remove the last member of the Team Foundation Administrators group.

My security may not be setup correctly to begin with.

Certified Geek

• Marked as answer by Arne MN Wednesday, April 2, 2014 12:32 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Arne MN Wednesday, April 2, 2014 12:33 PM
    Wednesday, April 2, 2014 12:19 PM
  • I hope you got this straightened out. You do not need to change TFS group membership for any TFS group. You will need to remove all but Read permissions for those groups that have access to your code.

In source control, permissions can be set at any level of the source tree. Assuming that you, like many teams do, have set permissions at some level higher up in the source tree and let child items inherit those permissions, you would right-click the source tree node where permissions are applied > choose advanced > then security to open the security dialog for that node. Select each group in the left column one at a time, remove all but Read permission (not Denied, just Not set), then click save changes. Note that if the security dialog shows all allow permissions as inherited, you may want to go up higher in your source tree to do this. Alternately, you can break inheritance at this node and set permissions as I described.

"You will find a fortune, though it will not be the one you seek." - Blind Seer, O Brother Where Art Thou
    Please Mark posts as answers or helpful so that others may find the fortune they seek.

Wednesday, April 2, 2014 9:25 PM