CreateProcessAsUser/CreateProcessWithLogonW returning error code 183 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a service which invokes a dll to createprocessasuser (also tried creating one with createprocessaslogonw from msdn api example).  Both are failing with error code 183 and I do not understand why.  The createprocessasuser code works in windows xp but works only occasionally in vista and the createprocessaslogonw dll always fails with error code 183.  Is there some security setting or some typical error that causes this error to occur?  What should I do?
    Monday, June 9, 2008 8:35 PM

All replies

• CPAU & CPWLW both expect an exe to be launched, not a dll.

When I tried this, I actually got error 193 which is ERROR_BAD_EXE_FORMAT...
    Friday, July 4, 2008 1:53 AM
  • I am not launching a dll with them.  I have put the code in a dll that is launched by a service running as local system.  The CPAU and CPWLW calls just run some command line statements.
    Monday, July 7, 2008 2:40 PM
  • Is it the call to CPAU (or CPWLW) that fails with error 183, or the resulting executable?

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 12:36 AM
  • It is the call the CPAU/CPWLW that fails.  I have checked to see if it fails and if it does I get the error number and it returns 183.
    Tuesday, July 15, 2008 5:53 PM
  • 183 is ERROR_ALREADY_EXISTS. It's unclear how it would be generated in this code path...

Can you paste the code you use to initialize the parameters to CPAU?

Thursday, July 17, 2008 12:41 AM