Will classic desktop apps in Win8 be able to use xaml from native C++?

Question

• Trying to get new developers up to speed on MFC/Win32 really hits home how broken that stuff really is.

I understand that Metro apps need a rewrite of their GUI to fit the new paradigm.

However, we STILL NEED A BETTER GUI FRAMEWORK FOR NATIVE CODE ON THE DESKTOP!

What is your answer to the thousands of Content Creation applications out there that still fit the desktop paradigm? Are we supposed to go on slogging it out with MFC/Win32?

Or do you propose that we write our GUIs in WPF and bridge the two worlds with C++/CLI. Because if so, experience has taught us that that is not good enough. Last year I spent several weeks walking down that road, and it was extremely painful. The amount of glue code I ended up having to write forced me to eventually give it up. Not to mention the increased compile times, and added project complexity. Some people are trying in isolated pockets of their apps, but it's certainly not cheap.

We all know that it's possible for you to give us the same native code xaml experience on classic desktop apps for Win8, that you've developed for the Metro apps. You obviously have (successful) experience in boxing xaml inside Win32 and vice versa, because you've done that with WPF. So why not give us a native mechanism to do just that?

Please MSFT. PLEASE!

Ben Harper

• Moved by Jesse Jiang Tuesday, October 11, 2011 8:25 AM (From:Visual C++ General)
    Thursday, October 06, 2011 9:30 AM

All replies