none
Kinect driver for Windows Embedded on Intel Galileo RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I would like to know if it's technically possible to write a custom drive for Kinect for Windows v1 or Kinect for Xbox 360, so it could be connected directly to Intel Galileo gen 1 or 2 via USB port with Windows Embedded Pre-Release on the board (avoiding regular PC at all) ?

I am not interested in all data that Kinect provides, but only in depth and maybe in skeleton. In case of depth image there're only 320x240 effective pixels, which are 2 bytes per one with 30FPS, so it's not so huge amount of data. Can Galileo collect it and transfer over Wi-Fi ?

I would like to get some pointing to relevant resources in case if it's possible to do and explanation if it's not.

Thank you

Saturday, January 3, 2015 12:46 PM

Answers

• The only thing that would in principle limit you from writing a Kinect driver is the speed of the USB host bus on the Galileo. The hardware requirements of Kinect 1 specify a dedicated USB 2 bus, and Galileo has two of them (one via the mini PCIe header). However, since Galileo uses an ISA from 1993 (Pentium without SSE or even MMX), you would need to reverse engineer the driver. Very few existing binaries will be drop-in compatible with Windows on Galileo (though many native programs will be source code compatible). If you are using the existing Kinect SDK, be sure to check the license agreement first, since it may prohibit you from reverse engineering using the SDK.

KeepMyIdentities, Your Key to Password Security. Available now on the Windows Store: http://apps.microsoft.com/webpdp/en-US/app/keepmyidentities/61a9f340-97ac-4666-beab-39f9246cb6fa

Sunday, January 4, 2015 5:08 PM