SpeechSynthesizer in Windows Store App 8.1 returns not all voices RRS feed

• Question

• I am developing Windows Store Application using SpeechSynthesizer. When I call SpeechSynthesizer.AllVoices() method under Windows Store App, it returns only three Microsoft voices. I also have some other voices installed in system that I would like to get access to from my Windows Store App.

var speech = SpeechSynthesizer.AllVoices(); // From Windows Store App 8.1

If I try to use SpeechSynthesizer from desktop application and call method GetInstalledVoices() it returns 6 voices that I have installed. In control panel under speech recognition -> text-to-speech I also have 6 voices available.

var speech = newSpeechSynthesizer().GetInstalledVoices(); // From desktop app

• Edited by Solechko Friday, October 25, 2013 7:53 PM
    Friday, October 25, 2013 7:47 PM

Answers

• Hi,Solechko

You can refer to the link:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/windows.media.speechsynthesis.speechsynthesizer.aspx

In the link, there are some words can explain why you can only get three Microsoft voices:

Windows includes Microsoft-signed voices that can be used for a variety of languages. Each voice generates synthesized speech in a single language, as spoken in a specific country/region.Only Microsoft-signed  voices installed on the system can be used to generate speech.

Best Wishes!

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey. Thanks<br/> MSDN Community Support<br/> <br/> Please remember to &quot;Mark as Answer&quot; the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

• Edited by Anne Jing Monday, October 28, 2013 2:38 AM edit
    • Marked as answer by Anne Jing Thursday, October 31, 2013 7:44 AM
    Monday, October 28, 2013 2:37 AM

All replies

• Hi,Solechko

You can refer to the link:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/windows.media.speechsynthesis.speechsynthesizer.aspx

In the link, there are some words can explain why you can only get three Microsoft voices:

Windows includes Microsoft-signed voices that can be used for a variety of languages. Each voice generates synthesized speech in a single language, as spoken in a specific country/region.Only Microsoft-signed  voices installed on the system can be used to generate speech.

Best Wishes!

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey. Thanks<br/> MSDN Community Support<br/> <br/> Please remember to &quot;Mark as Answer&quot; the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

• Edited by Anne Jing Monday, October 28, 2013 2:38 AM edit
    • Marked as answer by Anne Jing Thursday, October 31, 2013 7:44 AM
    Monday, October 28, 2013 2:37 AM
  • Thanks, very helpful information.
    Monday, November 4, 2013 4:59 PM
  • This is something that I am trying to figure out as well. The answer above is not an answer. In windows 8.1, using var speech = SpeechSynthesizer.AllVoices(); I can also only see 3 voices.

So the question is: what do I need to do to see more then 3 voices? Also, if I am building an app, what is it that I can do so that the end user who gets is from Windows Store could see more voices?

Thanks,

PV

Wednesday, February 26, 2014 4:52 PM
  • PV, please post in only one thread.

Your question here is different from Solecho's. Solecho had installed other voices to his system and was asking why they didn't show up in his Windows Store app. As Anne said, only the Microsoft signed voices are available to Windows Store apps.

As Anne's quote states, your app cannot install or enable voices other than the Microsoft signed voices installed on the system. Which are installed are based on the languages installed.

--Rob

Wednesday, February 26, 2014 7:09 PM