none
Cross-Platform CLI RRS feed

• Question

•    Does anybody know if ms is planning to port CLI to other platform?MONO's CLI is not good enough,it's a bit slow than ms's.
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 7:23 AM

Answers

• never heard of such plans, but Silvelight can be treated as something similar to cross-platform CLI
    S.G.
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 12:34 PM

All replies

• never heard of such plans, but Silvelight can be treated as something similar to cross-platform CLI
    S.G.
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 12:34 PM
  • I've found some months ago about those ideas, but cant tell for sure will it be implemented.
    Anyway why do you need it?
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 7:59 PM
  • I need this because not all the computers install ms Windows.And MS's .NET implementation is very good.I have written test codes about Fast Fourier Transform written in Java, C++(using VC compiler) and C#,and it shown .NET won,not only a little,it was 1 times faster than C++ version and even faster than Java version.I can't afford to buy different intel compilers running on all these platforms,so it would be better if there was a cross-platform CLI implemented by MS.You know,there is another CLI implemented by Mono org.But their implementation is not good enough.In my test,its windows version is 1.7 times slower than MS's.
    Friday, April 24, 2009 5:10 PM
  • Yes, the .NET framework and CLR is rather excellent.  Unbeatable price too, they give it away for free.  Now, why would they do that?  I trust you can figure it out.

Hans Passant.
    Saturday, April 25, 2009 10:37 AM
  • Oh yeah.I know that now...It can't be cross-platform.
    Saturday, April 25, 2009 12:09 PM
  • I need this because not all the computers install ms Windows.And MS's .NET implementation is very good.I have written test codes about Fast Fourier Transform written in Java, C++(using VC compiler) and C#,and it shown .NET won,not only a little,it was 1 times faster than C++ version and even faster than Java version.I can't afford to buy different intel compilers running on all these platforms,so it would be better if there was a cross-platform CLI implemented by MS.You know,there is another CLI implemented by Mono org.But their implementation is not good enough.In my test,its windows version is 1.7 times slower than MS's.

C# code runs faster than C++ ?? Sounds very strange to me. And why are you surprised saying that "even Java".
    I don't want to start a "hollywar", but as I know C++ in most cases is the fastest among those 3 and Java is the slowest in most cases.

Saturday, April 25, 2009 5:15 PM
  • Pure math in C# routinely outperforms the same code in C++.  It has a much cleaner floating point model, one that just happens to match the native CPU model.
    Hans Passant.
    Saturday, April 25, 2009 5:41 PM
  • Hi Hans,

And have you any information about comparison with Java, and is there any reference to read about this measurement.
    For math I am not sure, but a simple empty for in C++ is faster than in C# as I know.
    Saturday, April 25, 2009 6:09 PM
  • I don't know anything about Java, try Google.  Empty for loops in C++ get optimized away and generate no code.  Not exactly a useful perf comparison.
    Hans Passant.
    Saturday, April 25, 2009 6:15 PM
  • OK, thanks for a hint, I will try to do some tests on pure math arithmetical operations.

BR,
    Abijah
    Saturday, April 25, 2009 6:20 PM
  • Err...You should try it yourself.I don't want war too.But I know it's true that float-point caculation only intel C++ compiler's binary can defeat C# and Java under X84-32.And under x86-64 VC++ fight back and win C# and Java.You know C++ is not always fast,it depends on what compiler you use.Of course intel's C++ compiler always win,it's amazing.But it's too expensive,too.
    Sunday, April 26, 2009 2:00 AM